small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Modular Java
Pastorchappell_medium_pragsmall
30 Aug 2010, 23:34
Simon P. Chappell (21 posts)

I have a problem with the ePub version of the book. When I read it on my Nook, it freezes when trying to forward from page 47 to page 48. When I do a hard reset (press power button for 20 seconds) I can read other books, but this one is stuck on page 43 and any attempt to navigate within the book causes it to go into a perpetual “opening your document” mode from which it does not recover. My other books on the Nook behave normally, including more than half a dozen other PragProg books.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
08 Sep 2010, 12:34
Dave Thomas (344 posts)

Because ebook readers do their own pagination, I can’t tell from here just where in the book you are when you have the problem. Could you tell me what’s at the bottom of your page 47?

Pastorchappell_medium_pragsmall
15 Sep 2010, 21:47
Simon P. Chappell (21 posts)

Dave, Sorry for what in retrospect was an awful problem report. I had thought that you’d have a Nook or two laying around the office. So, putting my geek hat on, the scoop is as follows:

The problem is with the display of the table that appears on page 52 of the PDF, titled “Figure 3.2: Pax Construct provides several scripts to automate development of OSGi projects.” This table is in file “f_0018.html”. I haven’t had chance to cut the table up and rebuild the book, but I’m pretty sure that it’s the problem. If, I go directly to the chapter after the problem section, everything continues to work fine. And the epub file does validate in EpubCheck v1.0.5, so it must be a Nook capacity issue rather than a problem with the book.

Oh, and it’s a very interesting book, so I’m enjoying reading it.

You must be logged in to comment