small medium large xlarge

Vsface64_pragsmall
03 May 2012, 16:11
Victor Sardina (7 posts)

I agree with something I read in the PragProg magazine a while back: in spite of the widespread use of C++ I have never seen anything about the language published by PragProg. That I find rather odd taking into consideration the popularity of the language. I also agree that a lot of people run from C++ like they would from the plague upon hearing the term. C++ has a rather undeserved reputation as a “scary” language. Notwithstanding, C++ turns into perhaps the only serious, practical contender to Fortran for scientific, technical applications, when you cannot get by with just “getting it to work” and need it to work as efficiently as possible. In this context I find Qt, Boost, and Eigen a very interesting combination for scientific applications. This would probably matter to those interested in producing efficient code, not just producing code fast and with easy (it depends on the task at hand, I agree). How many people would care about a book about these topics? I just don’t know, probably quite a few, but they probably don’t have much time to vote on this issue? ;-)

Nho-250x375_pragsmall
05 Oct 2012, 18:42
Niels Holst (7 posts)

I am teaching a web-based PhD course in C++ programming and ecological modelling every autumn (“course home page”:http://www.ecolmod.org/course.html). The students are biologists with no previous experience in programming. Surprisingly, they make it! We use Qt, Boost and my home-cooked domain-specific language (XML dialect) for ecological models.

I also feel the need for a Scientific C++ text book but I think it will be difficult to define its domain; there is a long stretch from particle physics to ecology. But, even so, maybe somehow a common ground could be found.

You must be logged in to comment