small medium large xlarge

Earlava_pragsmall
07 May 2009, 07:53
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

Hello, i am from german, sorry for my bad english, please guess =D

I would really like to read a book about C#, because i am a trainee and my company is working with it, also it has a lot of potential i think.

I see that Pragmatic Bookshelf have just one about C# in a different way, NUnit, but i will buy this anyway, too.

A C# Book about basics and further techniques would be great =D

Best Regards, Camal Cakar

Generic-user-small
08 May 2009, 17:01
Thomas Kuna (6 posts)

I fully agree with that Camal. I am from Italy and my company is switching their software from Java to C# and it´s a sign for me for his potential.

A comprehensive guide from beginning to pro would be nice.

98499046_300_pragsmall
05 Jun 2009, 10:04
Karl Hzyjak (8 posts)

Hello, i am from Germany, too.

I would like to see a C# book, too :)

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 23:26
Derek Smyth (16 posts)

Hi,

there are lots of C# books out there already, what do you think they are missing?

I’m all for a pragmatic C# book but if there are lots of C# books already then would it sell?

It needs to have a different take on C#, what do you think that would be?

Generic-user-small
03 Jul 2009, 11:10
Kevin Morwood (2 posts)

Absolutely there are dozens of books on the C# topic. I think what might be missing is a ‘best practices’ approach to the topic. That’s what pragprog is good at.

Is that enough for a book? I don’t know. Maybe a column in the new monthly.

Earlava_pragsmall
07 Jul 2009, 06:21
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

A new column would be nice :D

Img_2341_pragsmall
14 Aug 2009, 20:08
Christopher Patti (5 posts)

First off, there are a ton of books, but in my opinion the quality of many technical books in the Microsoft software space generally leave a lot to be desired.

That said, I would agree that a best practices a-la Josh Bloch’s outstanding Effective Java might be a good niche for a progprog C# book.

I often miss the ‘pragmatic style’ when reading books about ASP.NET, C#, PowerShell and the like, so I think that perhaps folks shouldn’t view the wall of crud that currently lives in the space as a carte blanche disqualifier for this idea.

Earlava_pragsmall
25 Aug 2009, 10:44
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

First things first, thanks to Christopher Patti for keeping this idea up. I was a little bit dissapointed about the less interesting in this idea. But i will do my best to get this idea out :D

I found something really interesting on stackoverflow(it´s a good Answer&Question Page for programmers) about C#, something like this : Hidden Features of C# Common programming mistakes for .NET developers to avoid?

When i read those thread, i was like o.O!

I am not a totally beginner in C# but there is so much more to learn and apply. I just love this language and a book about the brightside or the otherside will be so nice.

There are two books about “effective” C#, but those are just covering C# 3.0 but we all know C# 4.0 is on his way :D

Maybe a pragprog writer will read this and see the potential of this great language.

No, i havent got a mac i have a pc. I use Linux and Windows. But i never used OSX. Please give your reader a new perspective on Windows Programming :D

This would be awesome :D

Me_pragsmall
27 Aug 2009, 08:19
Tony Muraty (4 posts)

That´s exactly what I am thinking. I am pretty new to PragProg because I want to learn Ruby. I got the book “Learn to program” and i love it. But looking into the other books of PragProg i just see Ruby/Specifiec Mac Programming. Some exotic books are there as well but there are just a few of them.

A book about C# with his magnificent features would be nice. Where can I pre-order that one ?

Norman_pragsmall
27 Aug 2009, 14:47
Norman Hoodoi (7 posts)

Hi, my name is Norman Hoodoi. I am a Phd. in computer science. I just want to say that i am want to switch my learing material for my students from Java to C#. I think C# got a lot of the attributes a high level programmin language needs. A best practise book, with Tipps like posted wants :

Hidden Features of C# Common programming mistakes for .NET developers to avoid?

Are just great.

Maybe this will be heard from the PragProg staff.

Greets from Netherland

Norman_pragsmall
03 Sep 2009, 16:02
Norman Hoodoi (7 posts)

Here is an interesting blog entry about a “dream book” with the main subject c# and .NET. http://msmvps.com/blogs/jon_skeet/archive/2009/08/20/the-quot-dream-book-quot-for-c-and-net.aspx

Carl_sagan_pragsmall
04 Sep 2009, 14:11
Larry Marylan (4 posts)

Jon Skeet is the man! He´s a real developer at Google but he is famous for his C# skills. I also want to see a pragmatic style C# book. It would be my next pre-order.

Johannes-hartmann_pragsmall
04 Sep 2009, 14:38
Johannes Deutschland (18 posts)

I love C#. Is so pragmatic. I can make rapid prototype and RIA, too. The .NET Framwork is a monster. And the runtime is running faster than the JVM. A book about C# ? From PragProg ? Maybe a book from Bill Wagner ? Pre-order please :D

+1 ^^

Earlava_pragsmall
08 Oct 2009, 21:19
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

I hope the PragProg gods will someday listen to us :D

There are some nice books out there about good C# programming. Effective C#, C# in Depth to count some outstanding ones :D

• 1!
Earlava_pragsmall
31 Oct 2009, 13:04
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

Still interest in a C# “Best practices” Book.

Vsface64_pragsmall
03 May 2012, 17:38
Victor Sardina (7 posts)

A PragProg book on C# makes sense if you program primarily, or exclusively for the Windows OS platform. Otherwise I cannot see the advantage of coding in C# (.NET) and not using a multiplatform toolkit such as the Qt C++ Framework (GPL and LGPL as well). I don’t intend on starting a discussion on this topic. In my opinion, however, a PragProg new book on C# would have a rather restricted audience that de facto doesn’t really reach most of the Unix/Linux users out there.

Rich_pragsmall
20 Feb 2013, 19:14
Rich Beck (1 post)

Victor,

C# is not limited to Windows. In fact, it is an ECMA standard.

The Microsoft .NET C# compiler supports only Windows.

The Mono C# compiler supports Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, BSD, Sun Solaris, Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3 and Apple iPhone. It also runs on x86, x86-64, IA64, PowerPC, SPARC (32), ARM, Alpha, s390, s390x (32 and 64 bits) and more. Developing your application with Mono allows you to run on nearly any computer in existence.

Given this, I would see no reason to resort to C++ and Qt. Last time I checked, Qt required you purchase a commercial license to use it in commercial applications. So, one must factor in this cost as well as the extra development time for C++.

All the Best,

Rich Beck BCIP, MCSD, MCIS

Vsface64_pragsmall
19 Nov 2013, 17:55
Victor Sardina (7 posts)

Hi Rich,

I had not checked this forum for a while. Thank you for addressing my comments. I have nothing against C#, I simply tried to highlight some shortcomings of the language/platform from the point of view of people writeng software for the Unix/Linux platform. In my opinion, C# remains mostly a Windows-based platform. I have never seen a widely used (scientific) software package for Unix/Linux written for Mono either. You can find, however, people attempting to port software from Windows to Unix/Linux via Mono.

After gradually making their licensing more compatible with the free software definition Trolltech released the Qt C++ Framework under the GPL around 2005. Later on it released the software under the GPL/LGPL in 2009.

Mono does not have the same level of maturity on the Unix/Linux platform, and that makes it a rather difficult choice. If someone have already devoted a lot of time, effort, and resources to write software in C#/.NET for the Windows platform I can understand the drive to extrapolate all that to other platform via Mono. Otherwise I cannot see the purpose.

For scientific applications the .NET/Java and similar languages have the shortcoming of running way slower than compile languages such as C, C++, and Fortran. As a matter of fact, having to run everything in a virtual machine, using only dynamically allocated memory ends up turning into a memory hog than can bring any system to its knees.

It all depends on the particular purpose of the software and its potential users. I have never seen, for instance, a simulation engine written in .NET C# Java or even straight python. The main reasons: speed and efficiency.

From my point of view, I believe that straight C remains as one of the most useful and underrated programming languages out there due to its simplicity and capabilities. Most people think of C89, but after that we have C99, and C11…

Best regards, Victor Sardina

Generic-user-small
20 Apr 2017, 14:36
barita mau (1 post)

wow many good book in the list

maybe will try read one by one

Checker-man_pragsmall
19 Jun 2017, 12:11
Abbie Dobson (1 post)

I use many online resources to learn more about coding, but my favorite resource is Coursera

6 small_pragsmall
26 Jul 2017, 17:18
Nina (1 post)

if you ever need some help with thesis paper, you can use this source

You must be logged in to comment