small medium large xlarge

Sergio-medium_pragsmall
02 Jul 2009, 03:38
Sergio Pereira (1 post)

Many of us read all the goodness in books from the PragProgs, Martin Fowler, Uncle Bob, Kent Beck, and many many others that I’ll have to omit to save some space. Unfortunately we’re often working in an environment where no one else seems to give the same importance to clean code and broken windows as we do. Often times the only advice you hear is to change jobs. I’d like to see a book about techniques for seeding the good practices at work. Be it directly in the source code, promoting brown bag sessions, dragging coworkers to user group meetings, creating a book club, I don’t know. It might boil down to leading by example, but I believe there’s more to it. You may be in a position where you have to talk your team lead or manager into it. I have had mild success with a few of these but I felt there was a lot of wasted effort as well. Anyway, how can someone spread continuous improvement and diligent craftsmanship without being perceived as an inconvenient team member? Is it a lost cause?

Generic-user-small
02 Jul 2009, 15:26
Derek Smyth (16 posts)

This is an interesting topic and I’d agree a book would be excellent. I’m doing something like this at the moment, getting everyone into unit testing, and to help I’m reading up on ways to influence and persuade people. You are right it can be a bit of a wasted effort.

I’d definitely be interested in reading other peoples experiences in encouraging change.

You must be logged in to comment