small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
17 Jul 2009, 08:09
Dmitry Neverov (3 posts)

I would like to see a book about pragmatic math for programmers with references for in-depth study.

Generic-user-small
20 Aug 2009, 17:56
Hugh Sasse (4 posts)

Lots of scope here to go outside the usual areas, as well. For example, tensors can be represented as two dimensional arrays, so they should be reasonably easy to manipulate with code, but how to apply them is something I’m still trying to learn. Quaternions are used to handle rotations in computer graphics, but I’ve not found a practical exploration of their use. Single Value Decomposition is used in matching and predicting preferences, but it is something I don’t feel comfortable with yet.

Johannes-hartmann_pragsmall
04 Sep 2009, 14:23
Johannes Deutschland (18 posts)

Dmitry Neverov, what do you mean with in-depth study ? Math is very important for programmers. I would love to see something like this.

Generic-user-small
25 Nov 2009, 14:45
Michael SanSoucie (1 post)

This is sounds like it would be a fun book. I would definitely be interested in it.

Generic-user-small
08 Jun 2010, 23:06
Ambert Ho (3 posts)

Another really good suggestion - you learn all sorts of math in college CS courses and then promptly forget it b/c it’s all theory.

Picture__87_pragsmall
14 Sep 2010, 23:45
Andrew de Andrade (19 posts)

Sounds interesting. Anyone want to take a stab at what we can expect in the table of contents of such a book?

Generic-user-small
02 Feb 2012, 11:54
Steve Holland (9 posts)

I’d second this request.

As someone who didn’t go down the CS route, and coming from a Web Development background I feel that if I knew more math I’d be a much better programmer.

I’d love to see a book which delves into the theory and then backs up that theory with some practical application of the topic. Personally speaking I’ve alway been one of those people who just doesn’t pick up a subject unless I know the why of whatever it is I’m doing. Which sadly in my experience is often overlooked in school (in the UK anyway).

Generic-user-small
18 Jul 2013, 12:33
David Rönnqvist (1 post)

I agree that it is an interesting topic but I also agree that some topics are only relevant to certain areas.

What counts as math and what counts as algorithms? For example, you have the theory about sets and graphs. That probably would probably be in the book but would traversing a graph be in the book?

There is some math that is used heavily in 2D and 3D graphics. Should they be in the book?

Generic-user-small
01 Nov 2016, 07:08
Oliver Benson (2 posts)

I’d recommend this book as it covers a lot of very useful mathematics. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1568817231/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1F389NV3EHJFQB5X3QPV

I know it says game development, but I prefer it a lot more than this book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-Physics-Programmers-Charles-Development/dp/1584503300

Argose voucher codes_pragsmall
18 Sep 2017, 06:47
discount vouchers (1 post)

Programming Language Pragmatics, Third Edition, is the most far reaching programming dialect book accessible today. Taking the point of view that dialect outline and usage are firmly interconnected and that neither can be completely comprehended in disconnection. waitrose voucher codes.This widely praised and smash hit book has been altogether refreshed to cover the latest advancements in programming dialect plan.

You must be logged in to comment