small medium large xlarge

Eu_yeah_pragsmall
31 Aug 2009, 16:19
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa (11 posts)

Emacs is an awesome all-purpose text-editor/IDE/PIM/whatever. But I can see some issues that prevent its widespread adoption: * It is seem as old-school – i.e doesn’t have enough kool-aid (like text-mate); * It has a very steep learning curve.

A book from pragprog that tries to deal with these issues while presenting emacs in a new way would be awesome, the book would take you from newbie, to intermediate+ (giving you some elisp lessons/tutorials).

Also, a chapter putting textmate and emacs side-by-side, with an approach of “the best of both worlds”, teaching emacs/text mate users on how to adapt their favorite text-editors to have the loved-features of the rival.

Marcelo.

Generic-user-small
01 Sep 2009, 22:23
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Agreed. Emacs has a lot of hidden power, but wow do you have to poke around to find how to do things.

Jim Wierich (devoted Emacs user) makes fun of James Edward Grey II for his TextMate book… see if he will be willing to author a Prag book on Emacs / Aquamacs.

Generic-user-small
28 Oct 2009, 17:57
Dmitry Neverov (3 posts)

If you guys will decide to write such book in PragProWriMo, I would like to take part.

You must be logged in to comment