small medium large xlarge

Yeslekmc_2_pragsmall
12 Sep 2009, 23:44
Kelsey McClanahan (10 posts)

I’d like to see a book that specifically covers the following topics using Xcode:

1) Setting up and utilizing version control (Subversion) 2) Unit testing 3) Creating a nightly build process (automated, to run at a certain time every day, and report errors back to appropriate administrators) 4) Ensure that an application can be built from a clean machine, from the repository 5) Best practices for localization of Mac OS X apps 6) Testing automation (automatically does unit tests, etc… as part of a daily schedule) 7) Demonstrate how to take a version control backup, and be able to regenerate an app from scratch (covers the worse case scenario of losing your dev shop and all computers contained there in) 8) Strategies for combating piracy (yeah, it’s nearly impossible to 100% stop) 9) Ways to provide check and update an application over the web 10) Streamline purchasing your app and license key generation and management 11) Working from a list and using an integrated feedback system 12) Help systems for your app - HTML / Apple Help / Built-in, etc… (BTW, I miss OS 7’s Balloon help!)

These topics have been covered in bits and pieces, but I’m not aware of a concise resource or guide that covers all of these topics in a manner that is easy to understand and quick to adopt.

This is NOT to be a book on developing in Cocoa or Objective-C.

This is a book about setting up a proper dev shop using Mac OS X and XCode. Sure, the web is littered with guides on the above topics, but most are not specifically targeted for the Mac OS X developer.

This is just a quick list, other topics should be included. Pipe in with your thoughts!

Thanks, -> Kelsey

Yeslekmc_2_pragsmall
16 Dec 2009, 19:49

Wow, over 300+ views of this topic – and not one comment. I can’t gauge if that means this topic is right on target and an obvious subject for a book, or no one else cares about this topic, or perhaps most others already know how to do this and have no need for such a book.

Anyone else care to share an opinion? If this is covered somewhere, and such a book already exists – please point me that direction.

Many thanks and much appreciated. —> Kelsey

Generic-user-small
17 Dec 2009, 01:41
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

This probably could be covered in a single PragPub article. All be it a long one.

Yeslekmc_2_pragsmall
07 Mar 2010, 02:35

If you ever do tackle this book – change item #1 to Mercurial. I love it; even more so than git.

This book is more relevant today than when I first suggested it. Especially since Apple lowered the price of admission to its developer program to $99. Yes, I know there’s always been a free version of the plan, but “free” doesn’t include pre-release software.

Generic-user-small
26 Mar 2010, 19:37
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

I would have to agree “now” it is (99 dollar for dev program). Throw in Titanium from Appcelerator. And more Development on OSX machines seems imminent in one form or another.

Yeslekmc_2_pragsmall
22 Apr 2010, 19:49

And here’s something else that could be covered: CODE SIGNING.

Yes, I keep hitting all of these little things on my way to publishing my first desktop Mac app. After you figure it out, it’s no big deal and takes less than a minute to do.

(NOTE: A minute is AFTER you have spent several days of research and head-scratching frustration figuring out what you need, where to purchase a certificate, and having certificate authorities telling you their certificate is only good for the Windows OS, when in fact the same certificate will work for both platforms…)

This is the type of book that would have saved me weeks (if not months) of time, and I’m sure many others would enjoy saving time and frustration as well.

Yeslekmc_2_pragsmall
25 Sep 2012, 04:47

I still believe this would make a great book!

—> Kelsey

You must be logged in to comment