small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
19 Sep 2010, 20:44
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Think of it as a Cliff Notes version of the pick axe “Programming Ruby”

Developers of “Sapphiresteel” (the Visual Studios IDE extension for Ruby) had a similar concept, in a pdf book, free to download. http://www.sapphiresteel.com/IMG/pdf/LittleBookOfRuby.pdf

But I believe it is still based on Ruby 1.8… So there is an opportunity here for a 1.9.2 version (which just recently went production).

This would allow for a concise write up of ruby, shorter then “Programming Ruby” but more involved then the Ruby chapter from “Learn seven languages in seven weeks.” My recommendation would be that since sheer volume is being sacrificed for brevity, that perhaps a “Make sure you learn what you can learn” approach is taken. In my opinion the best way to do this, is to present a project at the very beginning of the book and at the end of each chapter, work parts of that project, by either adding or modify the project, based on the concepts learned from a particular chapter. But keep with the project through out the book with the finished project on the last chapter being a professionally looking, complete application.

The same idea can be applied to Rails 3.

Generic-user-small
25 Sep 2010, 14:37
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Actually what might work better, if there is room for it. Two ongoing projects per chapter.

1) One as a fun project, like a game, say a dungeon crawler for fun to help grab readers attention. 2) A much more real world app project to help readers see what they should do in when and why in a real world app.

But if there is only room for one ongoing, chapter by chapter project, stick to the Dungeon Crawler. Games grab the attention of the reader (aspiring programmer) in general, better then most other programs.

You must be logged in to comment