small medium large xlarge

15 Aug 2014, 08:53
Frank Lorenz (2 posts)

Maybe I’m to dumb to see, but I cannot figure out what is the meaning of the different subdirectories (e.g. t0, t1, t2, t3) in the code you can find on github. I cannot find any explanation to it in the README, either.

28 Aug 2014, 02:27
James Grenning (141 posts)

Hello Frank

I am not sure if I understand your concern. I’ll take a stab at it anyway… The different subdirectories relate to the directories in the book. For example code-t0/ is from code/t0.

t0, t1, t2 are different points in time. Sorry if it is clunky.

02 Sep 2014, 07:51
Frank Lorenz (2 posts)

Hello James,

it was my expectation, too, that the different directories refer to different “points in time”.

But I fail to map the t0, t1, and t2 directories to chapters in the book. And I do not understand what you mean with “directories in the book”? I’m reading the PDF version - is there perhaps some structure/directories in the other formats (mobi/epub) that aren’t in the PDF? Only thing I see when I search for “t0” or “t2” strings in the PDF is that on some “title bars” above code snippets you see that the given file location refers to these subdirectories. Is this what you mean?

24 Sep 2014, 18:54
Arnd R.Strube (88 posts)

I have seen books recently that use Git to capture the history of code snippets in the book. This method is especially useful when there is one central example which is expanded upon throughout the book. I have used it myself in traingins.

As a bonus, it is then possible to easily diff two versions of a particular code snippet.

Then again, that is quite a bit of work when doing new revisiouns (because you can’t have a Git repository of a Git repository), however, I found Git makes it relatively easy to pull up an entirely new branch with revisions all along the history.

By the way, it is a while since I worked through your book, and I did all the examples, but I gave up on the thingie also.

You must be logged in to comment