small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Arduino
1576026_pragsmall
14 Dec 2011, 07:01
Jonas Andersson (2 posts)

Hey wonderful book thus far, I’m loving learning C at the same time as exploring the potential of micro-controllers.

So, I was stepping through chapter 5, where we hook up the TMP36 to the Arduino and measure room temperature. I couldn’t quite figure out which pin was which, but i knew the center one was the signal pin. I wrote a program to just read the raw data off the signal pin and output it to the serial monitor. I ran it, observed some numbers scroll by on the monitor, and decided to put my fingers over the TMP36 to see if the numbers changed. OUCH! the thing put a blister on my index finger, and melted part of my breadboard it was so hot.

Did I connect the sensor to the breadboard backwards? (My guess is yes ;]) but I’m just curious if this is normal, since I dont want to try it again and end up ordering more stuff.

Maik_schmidt_avatar2_pragsmall
14 Dec 2011, 08:46
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Jonas!

First of all it’s great to hear that you like the book!

Of course, connecting an electronic part incorrectly can (and possibly will) destroy the part :-(

Did you know that you can find high resolution versions of all the book’s photos on Flickr?

For example, you can see how to connect the TMP36 sensor here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50804036@N06/5115268249/in/set-72157625116756351/

Hope this helps!

Maik

You must be logged in to comment