small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Arduino
Generic-user-small
18 Oct 2010, 06:58
Els H (5 posts)

Hi, I am trying to make a decision on purchasing the beta and I was wondering if the Networking With Arduino chapter has been written or started yet.

Thanks, Eli

Maik_schmidt_avatar2_pragsmall
18 Oct 2010, 07:20
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Eli,

The Networking chapter is already part of the current beta version. I’ve adjusted it for the new Ardunio Uno, so a new version is going to be released soon. If you want to learn how to participate in networks with the Arduino you can safely buy the book. You’ll learn how to update your Twitter status using your PC’s internet connection and you’ll also learn how to access network services such as email using an Arduino and an Ethernet shield.

Best, Maik

Generic-user-small
23 Oct 2010, 05:43
Els H (5 posts)

Hi Maik, Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to subscribe to the post so I didn’t realize you had responded. Thanks for the response. This is good news. Currently, I am attempting to create a Wifi access point with the Arduino. Before I spent countless hours on this do you think it is possible following the examples in this chapter?

Cheers, Eli

23 Oct 2010, 06:06
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Eli!

Creating a Wifi access point with the Arduino is possible and there are good WiFi shields available for the Arduino. For example. you can use

In the book I do not explicitly cover WiFi but explain how to use an Ethernet shield with the Arduino’s Ethernet library. Also I show how to use your PC’s internet connection from an Arduino.

Best, Maik

Generic-user-small
23 Oct 2010, 22:53
Els H (5 posts)

Hey Maik, I had ordered the WiShield and WiFly about a week ago and I am still waiting for them in the mail. It is good to hear that these shields can be used to create access points.

I am researching wireless sensor nodes and I figured I will use an arduino based system for prototype first. It is my understanding though that the arduino may only accept one connection at a time. This is what I am eager to test. I currently have a bluetooth arduino board on which I will begin testing my thesis on while I wait on the Wifi versions to arrive.

Out of curiosity, does Arduino have an official Wifi library much like the Ethernet one? The reason I ask is that I am aware of third party wifi libraries for the arduino but haven’t heard anyone talked about a native library.

Cheers, Eli

23 Oct 2010, 17:53
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Eli,

WiFi on the Arduino is a very interesting topic and I hope you’ll post results of your research in this forum.

Regarding your question on handling multiple connections: due to its nature the Arduino is a fairly limited device, that is even with a piece of software that handles more than one request simultaneously you’d still not gain much. I’d suggest to concentrate on your application’s logic first and then increase performance if necessary.

At the moment there is no official WiFi library for the Arduino and I think the situation will not change in the near future.

Cheers, Maik

Generic-user-small
23 Oct 2010, 22:49
Els H (5 posts)

Hi Maik, You’ve been very helpful. I will share the result of my research here. Since the arduino is the easiest way to prototype for now I will concentrate single connections first.

Cheers, Eli

You must be logged in to comment