small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Arduino
Generic-user-small
10 Feb 2011, 13:03
Paul Thomas (4 posts)

I first of all thanks for a great book.

Bare in mind I’m on linux (mint/ubuntu isadora/lucid lynx) as the unofficial deb packages does not yet support UNO, so there is a workaround which is to create a new definition in boards.txt and change the upload speed to 115200. Also I had to symlink ttyAMC0 to ttyUSB0, or I could add some official jars from >0019 for discovery apparently.

Anyway I’m not sure what the problem is but the morse code is not really working consistently. In that I get odd delays where is no space. Dits and dahs can be often slurred into on tone. This odd timing seem to be reflected on the serial monitor ie. chunked output and non space delays. Sometimes it sounds like morse code, but it revert to not reflecting the actual dits an dahs.

I’m using your download code. I changed to reflect the buzzer as in what you book says as well as commented out code. Neither made any difference. I did increase the dit length and the made it clearer when thing are working. Baud rate is 9600.

I wonder if this is serial issue or what?

Generic-user-small
10 Feb 2011, 13:32
Paul Thomas (4 posts)

actually it seems fine if I increase the dit length to 500

I’m not getting a delay were the isn’t a letter or space gap, and there is no slurring. I could make the gaps in-between dahs clearer but i guess it is not convention to hack it this way.

Maik_schmidt_avatar2_pragsmall
10 Feb 2011, 13:44
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Paul:

I did a lot of experiments to find an optimal dit length, but I am not a Morse code expert. So I decided to use 200 milliseconds for no specific reason, but now I think 500 milliseconds are a better value. Especially, for people who are not very familiar with Morse code. Anyway, it’s great that it’s working now for you.

Thank you for posting your solution and for posting the instructions to get the Uno running on Linux!

Best Maik

You must be logged in to comment