small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Arduino
Generic-user-small
10 Apr 2011, 03:36
Glen Smith (1 post)

So first of all, thank you for the book. It is much more in depth than the Massimo Banzi “Getting Started With Arduino”.

I’ve read most of the book and now want to get into emailing text messages to my phone via my Arduino. I try to start a Telnet session and discover that Telnet is disabled in XP. So I Google it, and discover that while you can enable Telnet, most people don’t like Telnet as it is unsecure - plain text passwords and so on - “use SSH, it’s much more secure.” saith the web.

I’ve done some preliminary poking around on the Arduino Playground and not recieved quick results, so I’ll ask here. Does the Arduino Ethernet library support SSH? I’m not thrilled with the idea of transmitting my email PW plain text over the web.

I guess the other method would be to get a disposable GMAIL address for my Arduino.

Thanks. Glen

Maik_schmidt_avatar2_pragsmall
10 Apr 2011, 06:30
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Glen!

So first of all, thank you for the book. It is much more in depth than the Massimo Banzi “Getting Started With Arduino”.

Thank you very much! I am happy to hear that!

I’ve read most of the book and now want to get into emailing text messages to my phone via my Arduino. I try to start a Telnet session and discover that Telnet is disabled in XP. So I Google it, and discover that while you can enable Telnet, most people don’t like Telnet as it is unsecure – plain text passwords and so on – “use SSH, it’s much more secure.” saith the web.

I’ve done some preliminary poking around on the Arduino Playground and not recieved quick results, so I’ll ask here. Does the Arduino Ethernet library support SSH? I’m not thrilled with the idea of transmitting my email PW plain text over the web.

At the moment the library does not support SSH and I am afraid that there’s currently no SSH client available for the Arduino. I guess an SSH implementation needs more resources than are available on a typical Arduino.

I guess the other method would be to get a disposable GMAIL address for my Arduino.

That should always work.

Best, Maik

You must be logged in to comment