small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Arduino
Generic-user-small
03 Jul 2011, 07:48
Jeff Owen (1 post)

Mark,

Thankyou for your great book. I have a background in electronics but know nothing about networking or internet. Traditional books on micrcontroller technology focus upon low-level topics but what I like about the Arduino community and your book is that it abstracts to more far reaching topics of interactivity, networking etc. I am learning lots!

Can you please help me understand something in your book, bare in mind my ignorance of this topic. I am working through Chapter 8 “Networking with Arduino” and on p164 where you describe DAYTIME NTP services I can’t get Putty to give me an interactive terminal to enter commands as per: maik> telnet time.nist.gov 13 … … or as per p166 maik> host time.nist.gov ….. maik> dig +short time.nist.gov …etc etc I can get Putty on a telnet service to connect to e.g. time.nist.gov by typing in the host name before opening the session but but not from the command line like you do, and more importantly I do not now how to open a session to get the interactively managed session as per p166 where you get ip addresses and do pings etc can you help me understand:

1. What program I use for this ?
  2. What I connect to and how I open an interactive session where the commnds can be typed to do as per p166.

Many Thanks

Jeff

Also I am using Windows 7 on a PC, not Linux etc.

Maik_schmidt_avatar2_pragsmall
04 Jul 2011, 19:35
Maik Schmidt (122 posts)

Hi Jeff!

I am glad to hear that you like the book!

Putty is a great tool, but it can be tricky if you’re not used to it. To start a telnet session to time.nist.gov choose “Telnet” as the connection type. Then enter “time.nist.gov” in the “Host name” field. Now you have to change the “Port” entry from 23 to 13. Finally, check the “Never” checkbox in the “Close window on exit” field. Otherwise, Putty will connect to “time.nist.gov”, output the current time, and close the window immediately. You can save all these settings as a session, so you do not have to change them again.

Instead of using Putty you can also enable telnet on Windows 7. Microsoft decided to disable the telnet client by default, but http://www.fettesps.com/windows-7-enable-telnet/ explains how to enable it.

The ping command comes with Windows 7, but you have to get most standard networking tools from third parties. For example, there is a dig command for Windows 7 (http://members.shaw.ca/nicholas.fong/dig/), but I haven’t tried it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Maik

You must be logged in to comment