small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
22 Sep 2009, 19:51
Aaron C. (4 posts)

Your examples (for TextApp.app) show as being built for 10.6 / x86_64.

When I start up and create the new project TextApp it defaults to 10.5 and i386.

Also, the MainMenu.xib is MainMenu.nib for me - and when I go into Interface builder there are additional differences (such as it does not say TextApp in my menu interface but instead NewApplication).

I have completely uninstalled the Dev tools and reinstalled from the Snow Leopard DVD and still get the same defaults. I have not been able to figure out how to set the default OS and Arch for new applications.

Could you please explain how to get Xcode set to the proper defaults that you are using in your examples?

Generic-user-small
22 Sep 2009, 21:38
Tim Isted (105 posts)

That’s strange. If you’re installing the tools from the Snow Leopard DVD, presumably you are running Snow Leopard as your OS? If you view the About window for Xcode while it’s running, what version does it show? It should be 3.2 under SL. The version I installed from the SL disc shows Xcode Version 3.2 “64-bit”.

If this is showing an earlier version, can you check the “About Xcode” pdf inside the “Optional Installs” directory on the Snow Leopard disc and see what version it says at the top? It should read “Xcode 3.2 for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.”

On most recent Macs, I think Xcode will default to 10.6 / x86_64 but I need to check that. If not, I will post a brief summary of changing from one architecture to another.

At worst, the differences between the projects for 10.5 and 10.6 shouldn’t matter, at least not for the chapters in the Beta. The screenshots will look a little different, and there will be the odd object showing up in the interface files and projects in the book that aren’t in the projects under earlier versions of Xcode. Hopefully, though, we can get you running with the correct Xcode version.

Generic-user-small
23 Sep 2009, 14:10
Aaron C. (4 posts)

I am running version 3.2 - verified by Xcode > About and the PDF file in the install DVD. Goal would be to be able to follow along exactly as the book has it. That is why beta books are so great! Some food for thought when you get to the “Installing and Configuring Xcode” section :-)

Thanks

Generic-user-small
23 Sep 2009, 14:52
Tim Isted (105 posts)

It is relatively easy to change the build settings etc on an existing project, but I’m concerned that Xcode is creating projects from a template with a MainMenu.Nib rather than .Xib file—this shouldn’t be happening using the default 3.2 templates.

Have you had a previous version of Xcode on your machine? One possibility is that the project template directories and files on disc somehow haven’t been upgraded from a previous version. If you check what’s on disc at:

/Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application/Cocoa Application/Cocoa Application

do you see the list of files shown here: http://embr.it/Sv ?

And do you see a “MainMenu.xib” file inside the “English.lproj” directory?

Generic-user-small
23 Sep 2009, 15:19
Tim Isted (105 posts)

With regard to changing from 10.5 to 10.6 for an open project in Xcode, choose Project > Edit Project Settings and change the Base SDK setting, as shown here: http://embr.it/Sx

Note that you may not see the iPhone SDK options listed in this image.

Generic-user-small
24 Sep 2009, 19:55
Aaron C. (4 posts)

I did have the previous version of Xcode. I figured that may be causing some issue - so I completely uninstalled Xcode using the following command:

sudo /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

I see the files you mention above - here are the ls outputs if these two directories:

` /Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application/Cocoa Application/Cocoa Application:

English.lproj PROJECTNAMEASIDENTIFIER-Info.plist PROJECTNAMEASIDENTIFIER__AppDelegate.h __PROJECTNAMEASIDENTIFIER__AppDelegate.m __PROJECTNAMEASIDENTIFIERPrefix.pch _PROJECTNAME.xcodeproj main.m

/Developer/Library/Xcode/Project Templates/Application/Cocoa Application/Cocoa Application/English.lproj: InfoPlist.strings MainMenu.xib

`

Generic-user-small
24 Sep 2009, 22:29
Tim Isted (105 posts)

I’m going to try and check with Apple Developer Support on this. One question is whether you have ever installed Xcode and tools into a directory other than /Developer, by specifying a different location at install time?

There must be some residual templates left over along with some residual preferences or something like that.

It might be worth removing anything that you find in

~/Library/Application\ Support

related to the dev tools. This is probably:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Apple/Developer\ Tools
~/Library/Application\ Support/Xcode
~/Library/Application \Support/Developer

Failing all of this, I do know of people who have had success by removing /Developer manually rather than using the script.

Generic-user-small
25 Sep 2009, 15:17
Aaron C. (4 posts)

I have never installed to anywhere other than /Developer

That said - I ran the uninstall script again, then manually deleted the following: /Developer (was not removed with the script) ~/Library/Developer ~/Library/Application Support/Developer

I then re-installed Xcode 3.2 and created the TextApp.app and everything is now looking just like your examples.

So - looks like manually removing the directories after doing the uninstall is the key.

Thanks! Aaron

Generic-user-small
25 Sep 2009, 19:46
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Also Tim . . . Please keep in mind that Snow Leopard works for all Intel based systems. The First Gen MacBook Pros are Intel Core Duo . . . Not “Core 2 Duo” 32 Bit CPUs NOT 64 bit.

Generic-user-small
26 Sep 2009, 10:17
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Absolutely, but this doesn’t affect the files within the template projects under Xcode 3.2 and Snow Leopard. It just means that the earlier models can only compile for i386 rather than either i386 or x86_64. This information will be included in the (as yet unwritten) appendix on installing Xcode.

You must be logged in to comment