small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
28 Nov 2009, 20:09
Andrew Parks (2 posts)

I really like the style and pace of this book, but I am a tad confused.

Using SDK 3.2.1 (OS X 10.6.2) working through pages 22-24, the plist file is still named info.plist, and the MainMenu file is a .nib file not a .xib file (I did read further down the document to discover they are essentially same, but that .xib is a more up to date name). After double clicking on MainMenu.nib file, Interface Builder launches, but there is no “Window(TextApp)” object; there is one called “Window(Wind…”. I read a previous post and checked and there is no “MyDocument.xib” file. I ran through the book to this stage 3 times with the same result.

(Also, the MainMenu.nib window in IB does not contain a Font Manger object or a “Text App App..” object). Additionally, the Menu Editor in IB shows NewApplication and About New Application (the foot note at the bottom of page 23 indicates that the naming of these occurs in earlier versions of Xcode, but I am running the latest version of Xcode and OS X)

I added a textview object to the window, saved it and it ran fine. Have I missed something or is this just related to keeping up with the different builds of Xcode?

Thanks

Andy

Generic-user-small
29 Nov 2009, 10:53
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Hi Andy,

Have you previously been running an earlier version of Xcode on your machine? If so, it appears that the old project and file templates can sometimes stick around, which might be why you’re seeing these problems.

The instructions in another forum post for this book, http://forums.pragprog.com/forums/132/topics/3371 may be of help.

Tim

Generic-user-small
30 Nov 2009, 02:56
Andrew Parks (2 posts)

Thanks Tim,

I ran the uninstall script, and manually deleted /Developer /Library/Developer

that worked, and I now see the .xib file and the same objects in the MainMenu.xib file in IB as depicted in the book.

Andy

Generic-user-small
30 Nov 2009, 13:13
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Excellent, thanks for letting me know.

We’ll be including this information in the Installing Xcode appendix.

You must be logged in to comment