small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2010, 19:23
Tori Teller (5 posts)

I have an Intel based MacBook pro with the latest version of Xcode that I downloaded from the Apple developer website. I’m on Page 16 and 17 of the book. To this point, everything has proceeded as described in the book.

I got to the figure labeled 2.3. At this point, when I double clicked on the file MainMenu.xib, a new window did not appear as described in the book. Instead, nothing happened. l am now stuck. I cannot get the window identified in figure 2.4 on page 17. I don’t want to return the book. It looks like a great tool. I know I’ve done everything right to this point but I may have a newer version of xcode on my computer than that described in the book.

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2010, 20:02
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Hi there,

Is there an expansion arrow next to the @MainMenu.xib@ filename in the Xcode project window? If so, click this and you should find it expands to list what looks like an additional xib file named “en” or “english”. If you double-click this @en@ or @english@ file, it should open in Interface Builder.

I believe this is something that has changed very recently (it used to be sufficient to double-click the @MainMenu.xib@ file itself, rather than the @en@ ‘file’), so I haven’t tested it too thoroughly yet, at least not enough to make an official recommendation…

Please let me know either way, Thanks, Tim

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 18:47
Tori Teller (5 posts)

[URL=http://img72.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20101107at140.png/][IMG=http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9205/screenshot20101107at140.png][/IMG][/URL]

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9205/screenshot20101107at140.png

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Here’s a screen shot of the screen I got stuck on. I did click on the additional xib file named “en.” But, Interface Builder did not open. I’ve clicked on all of the xib files described on the book plus the xib file named en. You can see from the screen shot that Interface Builder has it’s own subsection and drop down menu. I’ve tried this area and the one described in the book.

I’m stumped. Do you have any suggestions.

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 19:01
Tim Isted (105 posts)

This is very strange!

Can I just confirm that you are double-clicking the file rather than just single-clicking?

Next thing to try: if you right-click (or control-click) on the “en” or “english” file, you should see an option to “Open in Finder.” Selecting this menu option has the same effect as double-clicking the file in the Finder, i.e., launching Interface Builder and opening the file. Does this work?

Failing that, can you open Interface Builder manually (it’s in /Developer/Applications, where you found the Xcode application), then open the nib file through standard File > Open… ?

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 20:43
Tori Teller (5 posts)

Yes. I am double clicking. Just to be sure, I right clicked on it as well. Nothing happens. I’m not sure where to look for /Developer/Applications. Is this within the Xcode bundle or do I have to go back on to the Apple developer website?

I may just delete Xcode and download it again according to the instructions. I do know that my version of Xcode looks different than the one described in the book. I have that separate drop down for Interface Builder even though nothing happens when I double click on the file.

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 20:46
Tori Teller (5 posts)

This is weird. It looks like it worked. I’ll give you details after I work through the example in the book. I think it’s a slightly different process than what’s described and I haven’t quite figured out why it worked just now. Thanks for your help so far and for your patience.

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 21:17
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Please let me know how you get on.

For reference, /Developer/Applications refers to the Developer directory at the root of your main hard disc, where the developer tools are installed. Xcode and Interface Builder will be inside the Applications directory inside this Developer directory (rather than the usual Applications directory that contains standard Mac OS X apps like Address Book, Safari and Mail).

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 21:19
Tori Teller (5 posts)

OK. Everything is fine. I finished Chapter One. It seems as if the Interface Builder program didn’t automatically open in a window. Instead it just appeared in the dock and I didn’t recognize the icon. At least I think that’s what happened.

Thanks again for setting me back on track.

Generic-user-small
28 Dec 2010, 22:52
Ronnie Pitman (1 post)

My experience is that the first time I double-clicked the .xib file to open it, it took so long to do so that I too thought it wasn’t opening. I started clicking around here and there—anyway, it finally did open. After that first time, it has always opened quickly. I would also like to add here that I am thrilled to see you, Tim, involved in this forum. Thank you. I’ve seen another book forum where the author was nowhere to be found.

Generic-user-small
29 Dec 2010, 19:19
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Thanks, Ronnie. Yes, Interface Builder 3 can take quite a while to launch. This may become less of an issue once Xcode 4 is released. I can’t discuss full details publicly due to the NDA, but take a look here for more: http://developer.apple.com/technologies/tools/whats-new.html

Generic-user-small
04 Feb 2011, 04:58
jeff sparman (4 posts)

Hi I Have issue with figure 2.4 page 17 as well for some reason text app application is not present in the window. Therefore I cant accomplish the task in page 19 where I’m supposed to drag a text view window into the text app. Thanks

Figured it out… had the create document-based application box checked by mistake

Generic-user-small
09 Feb 2011, 09:22
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Hi Jeff - sorry that I didn’t answer you before you figured it out yourself; yes, the “Create Document-based Application” checkbox has caught me out more than once… !

You must be logged in to comment