small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
04 Apr 2011, 10:30
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Over the next few days, I’ll be adding some Xcode 4-specific instructions, probably taking the form of a page-by-page “this is what’s different” list. We’ll work out how best to display the information, possibly as an ever-growing forum post, or a separate web page/wiki etc.

If you would prefer to follow through the book using Xcode 3, it’s still possible to download Xcode 3 from developer.apple.com/xcode but you will need a developer account with Apple; I believe the free account is sufficient.

At the bottom right of the page, you’ll see a “Looking for Xcode 3?” line with a Download Now link for Xcode 3.2.6. This will prompt you to log in with your account details. If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to register. The link can also be found once you’ve logged in at developer.apple.com/mac.

Tpjr_pragsmall
10 Apr 2011, 18:39
thomas payne (1 post)

hi tim, that would be great. i started the book and got through chapter 4 when xcode4 launched. once i opened up xcode 4 and started using the interface, it was immediately apparent that it was going to be much easier to use for a beginner. there are some changes though in the code in the NotifyingClass objects but i don’t have any idea yet whether they are going to be material to your text.

Generic-user-small
22 Apr 2011, 16:31
Tim Isted (105 posts)

Apologies for the delay, it took a while to get approval.

I’ve posted a site to explain the differences between Xcode 3 and 4 for the book:

http://beginning-mac-programming.timisted.net

The site includes a General Overview of the changes, as well as chapter-by-chapter differences to be read alongside the book.

There are no changes in Chapter 1, but I have posted information for Chapters 2, 3, 4 and 5. I’ll add chapter 6 onwards when I can.

The information in the posts is mainly screenshots, and there for if you get stuck. For the most part, it will probably be easy to work out on your own.

You must be logged in to comment