small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  PragPub
Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
29 Jun 2009, 19:22
Dave Thomas (390 posts)

So, what did you think? What could we do better? What content would you like in the next issue?

Mike0_pragsmall
30 Jun 2009, 15:34
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

I second Dave’s invitation. We really do want your feedback. Any specific article ideas/requests? How’s the depth of the articles? The balance of coverage? What’s missing? What’s not working for you? What do you think of the design/layout, and what do you think we should change? Anybody reading the issue on a handheld device? How does it look there? Any glitches? The next issue will be out in 30 days; help us make it as good as possible.

N1604610086_30355849_2382466-181x300_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 12:42
Kevin W. Gisi (1 post)

Fantastic idea, and fantastic read!

My only comment would be that John Shade’s article had a vastly different voice from the rest of the magazine. I personally enjoyed the diversity, but maybe it would have been better to intersperse that article between some others.

Can’t wait for next issue!

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 14:25
Dan Farmer (2 posts)

I looked at the PDF and it looks great (no time to read before work :( but looking forward to it when I get home).

I navigated to the site on my iphone and tried to download the epub and got “Download Failed: Safari cannot download this file.” – But I can download the epub on my desktop machine. Any ideas?

-Dan

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 14:42
Dennis Sutch (13 posts)

I visited PragPub for some ale and found some interesting magazine articles.

The articles on Clojure are welcome. I would enjoy being exposed to other cutting edge programming languages in the future.

I’m not sure how a magazine provides more value than publishing the same content to a blog, but I will continue reading each month to see what becomes of this experiment.

Hobbes_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 14:42
David W. Wormuth (9 posts)

I’m with Dan, “Download failed….” on my iPhone 3G (3.0 OS)

Ruben2_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 16:07
Ruben Gamboa (1 post)

Although I am not a big fan of (what I consider to be) self-promotional magazines, this one was exceptional: informative, relevant, and fun! The articles on Clojure were especially interesting. I’ve been involved with functional programming for a long time, and I’m convinced FP is due for a resurgence, because of the need for both multithreaded and more reliable programs.

But my favorite article was the one explaining how my name ends up at the bottom of every page in the books I buy. Confession: I’m a geek. That means I’m interested not just in new technologies and languages, but also in the technical details of how you get that information to me. You use EC2 and iText for that purpose? I would have guessed iText, but EC2? Now that was interesting….

Eric j. gruber_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 16:57
Eric J. Gruber (10 posts)

Download failed on my iPhone 3Gs (3.0 OS)

Mike0_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 17:05
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

Regarding downloading to the iPhone: You need to have Stanza installed. If that’s not the problem, let us know.

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 19:27
Dan Farmer (2 posts)

I’ve got Stanza. Not sure what else it would be. In fact I just thumbed through Pragmatic Version Control on my iphone to make sure the 3.0 OS didn’t break Stanza.

Hobbes_pragsmall
01 Jul 2009, 20:51
David W. Wormuth (9 posts)

I’m with Dan again. I use Stanza (installed before 3.0) and MobileSafari won’t download the epub. Have not tried other epubs since the 3.0 upgrade to see if it’s more widespread than the magazine.

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 22:57
Mark J. Reed (1 post)

Nifty read. Thank you.

Think I got the quiz.

Stop reading now if you don’t want spoilers! :)

Simula, NGL, Occam, BCPL, Oberon, Lolcode. Spelling SNOBOL, of course.

Generic-user-small
01 Jul 2009, 23:55
Derek Smyth (16 posts)

Hi, I like the magazine simply because it encouraged me to come here and get involved in the pragmatic forums. Thats great because your books are excellent and it’s great to read you want to start a dialogue with your readers. It also gives a feel for the personalities behind the names.

I liked the idea of covering a relative unknown technology (Clojure) … relative to me that is because I never knew it existed (well I’m a .NET guy not a Java guy). I liked the article on keeping your job (it’s not all about the code is it) and the Microsoft bashing article was an interesting read as well, it was a different voice than the rest of the article true, but don’t think it mattered.

Look forward to the next one.

Ideas for future content… I’d like to maybe write something for yous about how to change peoples minds and on ways to get technologies introduced to a company. Something I am learning now and trying to apply. Something on functional programming and how to get into a functional mindset.

It’s late but I’m sure more ideas will come.

Headshot-300x300_pragsmall
02 Jul 2009, 00:04
Andy Lester (18 posts)

I loved it. It felt very magaziney, which I appreciate. If it was just long article after long article, I’d have been lost.

I was lost in the Clojure article, because I know no Lisp and have only barely looked into the Erlang book.

I thought the Bing/Alpha article was fantastic. It was half analysis and half funny, in just the right mix.

I actually printed out the magazine for taking with me to read at lunch. Some of the colors just don’t work on paper. The arrows on the What’s Hot list all but disappeared. The “ms” sections of the Clojure interview are pretty faint.

Would be good to have the article name in the footer of each page. Also, good to have author email addresses, blogs and/or Twitter IDs in their author section.

Eric j. gruber_pragsmall
02 Jul 2009, 05:04
Eric J. Gruber (10 posts)

I have Stanza installed and use it several other PragProg books. But when I tried to download it using mobile Safari, it said Safari couldn’t download the file. Any help would be appreciated.

Generic-user-small
03 Jul 2009, 01:12
Chris Johnsen (1 post)

I had previously run across references to Clojure, but it never really caught my attention (not even pragdave tweeting about getting it to work with SLIME). The demonstration of the condition system convinced me that it could actually be a “real Lisp” and piqued my interest.

Generic-user-small
03 Jul 2009, 18:09
Michael Penrow (6 posts)

I’m reading the Kindle edition and it would be nicer if the Table of Contents worked. Otherwise I am liking the magazine so far.

05 Jul 2009, 03:52
Joel Clermont (6 posts)

I thoroughly enjoyed the magazine. I read one article as a PDF (the one on Clojure error handling) so I could follow along with the code. The rest I read on my Kindle. The formatting was very comfortable. I enjoyed the mix of topics and also being exposed to things I hadn’t looked at before, like Clojure.

I’m a long time DDJ reader, so it was a pleasant surprise to see Michael Swaine on this new project. I look forward to the next issue. Oh, and let John Shade know not to worry too much. I got the Wolfram/light bulb joke. :)

Earlava_pragsmall
07 Jul 2009, 06:33
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

->What content would you like in the next issue?

I would like to see a practical Guide to C# :)

Generic-user-small
09 Jul 2009, 14:19
Dennis Sutch (13 posts)

Page 22 contains the statement about Progmatic Bookshelf books: “And if you buy one, you’ve got them all: you have purchased a license to the content.” This statement occurred in the context of electronic book formats, but content is content, whether it is electronic or printed.

I am often bothered by the fact that publishers require us to purchase content in both printed and electronic forms. Isn’t the content identical?

Earlava_pragsmall
19 Jul 2009, 14:04
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

I love to see more articles by John Shade.

You must be logged in to comment