small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  PragPub
Shane_emmons_pragsmall
06 Aug 2009, 17:50
Shane Emmons (1 post)

It seems that there is something missing between pages 5 and 6. We go from “Let’s look at PDF first” straight into “For the print books”.

Status_pragsmall
06 Aug 2009, 22:38
Ben Still (1 post)

A question to Michael on “Happy Campers”: we’ve thought about something similar, but wasn’t sure whether people should bring along partners and little people. Any thoughts or experiences?

Mike0_pragsmall
07 Aug 2009, 14:13
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

Shane, you’re right, it’s a confusing transition, but I think there’s nothing missing. That first paragraph on page 6 really is about generating PDFs.

Mike0_pragsmall
07 Aug 2009, 14:21

Ben, our experience with retreats has been that encouraging employees to bring partners and little people really enhances the experience. We all get to see each other as more rounded individuals. But it depends on what you want to get out of the retreat and to some extent on the makeup of your staff. If you hope to get any work done or talk a lot about work issues, families may feel left out unless you plan separate activities for them. With a small staff you might want to play out the dynamics in your head: will John’s kids be the only little ones there, or if two employees have little kids, would they enjoy playing together? And if you do include families, the venue has to have activities/attractions for everyone who’ll be there, enough to keep them occupied all the time.

Me_pragsmall
25 Aug 2009, 12:00
Tony Muraty (4 posts)

What a great article from John Shade. Just great. I am very excited about the next issua, what Shade will bring next. But I was confused this time, because i dont get the idea behind the articel “Get a life”, very strange :D

Thanks for your effort to make this great magazine.

But my only comlain about this magazine is that is has a lot information about the MAC Platform but I am a PC user, please more about this system would be great.

Mike0_pragsmall
25 Aug 2009, 13:58

Tony, thanks for the very helpful feedback. The Mac vs. PC thing is part of a bigger challenge we will always always face: striking the right balance between platforms, languages, etc. We’ll keep working on it. “Get a Life” is a little outside the frame, but that’s its mission. In upcoming issues it will focus on music and slacking off. Sometimes, I hope, it’ll be outside the frame in a way that works just right for you. I’ll pass your comments on to John Shade. -Mike

Me_pragsmall
25 Aug 2009, 14:58
Tony Muraty (4 posts)

Dear Michael Swaine, first thanks for your comment, now I believe someone from above is reading this.

Yes, we all know there is a face to face fight between MAC vs PC and other thing. It´s human. But I got to pragprog because I wanted to learn Ruby, really nice language but it was in a personal way.

At work i am working with C/C++. But I can´t find any books or articels in the magazine about that languages. Why ? Also i notice that PragProg is going the Mac Way. I found some interesting books about Core Data, Obejecte-C and so on. But I cant find articles about, let me say C/C++ or even C#. It would be nice if there would be more a neutral view on the languages or platforms.

Music will be the next “Get a life” articel ? Nice, I love music. I love to relax to it or even work with earphones in my ear listening to my favorite Jazz bands.

I am pleased to see the next issue. And maybe some PragProg books about the older or the other languages except Objective-C :D

Thanks again, Tony // Norway

Norman_pragsmall
27 Aug 2009, 13:15
Norman Hoodoi (7 posts)

Just want to thanks the whole team for this magazin. I am very happy to see that Michael Swaine is on board, too. Keep this exeleant project up.

Mike0_pragsmall
27 Aug 2009, 13:44

Thanks, Norman. As for keeping it up, we’re just finishing the third issue this weekend.

Norman_pragsmall
28 Aug 2009, 07:23
Norman Hoodoi (7 posts)

Good news. I am looking forward to have the new issue.

You must be logged in to comment