small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  PragPub
Mike0_pragsmall
31 Oct 2009, 13:43
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

The November issue will be published on Wednesday, November 4. Agile Coaching, Pomodoro, iPhone, Stripes, and a quiz with a prize!

Headshot_pragsmall
04 Nov 2009, 15:29
Brian Tarbox (41 posts)

A friend wrote in response to my article on Interruptions:

“In the style and tradition of Ice Road Truckers you should do a documentary called Real Time Programmers. I’ll help you get started:

New guy: “I figured the diagnostics would catch any errors.” Grizzled veteran: “You don’t get it kid. “Fly-by-wire” means that if your code fails its not just the system that crashes, the plane crashes. Everyone dies. Get it?” New guy: (in tears) “I’m so sorry…” ”

Headshot_pragsmall
04 Nov 2009, 16:29
Brian Tarbox (41 posts)

Another friend wrote to me: Dear Brian,

I loved the article; it was funny when you said "His body has never been found."  I was int'd in both the problem and the solution(s)--this is why I do all my concentrated writing (books, articles, reviews) at home.  Some of my colleagues escape to a private office in the library.  I can understand why you can't do that, and it surely complicates the problem.  Your solution--to distribute the inconvenience--has behind it the absolutely reliable force of behavior modification.  The problem is that people hate being behavior-modified, even though it has excellent results.  After one generation, the behavior-modification principles begin to work automatically (cf jaywalking, etc.) but it does take a while.  I was astonished when I first went to a city in a Middle-West state (Mpls, Minn) to see everyone meekly stopping at red lights (pedestrians and cars alike) and then crossing in a gentle and regular way.  We still haven't accomplished that in Boston!
Earlava_pragsmall
04 Nov 2009, 17:31
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

I am afraid about to say that this is by far the worst issue released. It only contains promotion stuff in it. Only John Shades article is fun to read and also so informative.

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2009, 07:42
Jigar Gosar (2 posts)

I had a good time solving the quiz.

spoiler alert

“solution”:http://tinyurl.com/yfjhj49

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2009, 07:43
Jigar Gosar (2 posts)

The links formatting is either screwed up or I am doing something wrong.

Mike0_pragsmall
06 Nov 2009, 21:51

Camal, I hate to disappoint such a staunch supporter. If you have more detailed criticism, I’d welcome it. And I’ll take what you said here to heart. Mike

Earlava_pragsmall
07 Nov 2009, 12:52
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

Maybe I am just not one of your target audience. I am a software developer. Status trainee. I am developing software with the .NET runtime. My main language is C#. I was playing with web programming and a friend of mine was telling me about ruby. So I searched the web about it. After a while I found a very good book. Learn to Program from PragProg. This book is great. And so I was thinking I have found my main book source for good books. I am a PC User. I never touched a MAC or have an IPhone.

For me its just hard to understand why PragProg is just going in the Apple direction. I know that being open for everything is the best way to live. I would have a Mac but there are to expensive and its more sealed than the Windows environment. I live in Germany and Apple is not as big as in the USA. I am interested in best practice in programming but also in the programming life at all.

When I look into PragProgs book archive I see a lot of ruby and more of IPhone, Mac Programming and so on. I know Ruby is a great language but I will never use it for my job. It was just my hunger for more :D.

Since the first issue of PragPub I was afraid that the Apple way will continue. And this happened from my point of view.

The current issue is for me just a bunch of programming tips in one direction. Apple. With the articles about the programmer life I cant identify myself. Its just not that what I was thinking. I would be interest in topic like “What will be next”, “New technologies” or like interesting polling “Is all programming now web programming”, things that I see everyday.

I just ordered books from PragProg that are common things like the Debug it book or Webdesign for developers. Thinks like programming Cacoa or Beginning Mac are just not my interest. And this magazine is full of it.

I found another good publisher Manning. There have everything but nothing special for MAC. Just few books. But there are neutral. And that is what I am searching. A good approach to show me thing than are good for me or for programmers at all. But the thing PragProg and the magazine PragPrub are talking about are just in one direction. Just there personal opinion. I never read things about Java anymore here. Just Ruby. I never read things about Python(ok, one book is here but just one!) but a lot of stuff about Apple programming.

So I dont know who your target audience is.

I am a programmer. I care about my work. I want to make things good. I am interest in new things. I am neutral but I don’t have the money for Apple products. I want to have a good time with my job and my personal life. I am new in the programming business. I don’t just write working code and want effective code.

So am I one of your target audience ?

Generic-user-small
19 Nov 2009, 11:57
Povl H. Pedersen (3 posts)

I think, that the Mac programmers are more free thinking, and more proud of what they do. So the pragmatic programming methodology fits them better.

Many Windows programmers are just that. Windows programmers. They have to cranck out code, made exactly to specs (not to user needs), in right time and budget. And it is not important how it looks or if the user is happy. These are many of the people employment not in the software industry, but in the bigger companies.

I think, that if you aim for making quality over quantity, and take proud in delivering what the users need, and not what they specify, then you a target audience.

There are zillions of books on C# / C++ / Windows etc. I have a feeling that pragprog is more a niche market.

BTW: Another very good publisher for the last 20+ years have been O’reilly. www.ora.com. They also sell pragprog books. They are also not swamped with Windows only books, but do have a fair share.

Once upon a time, at my old job, we were actually talking about Oreilly needing to create a subscription package, so you would get all their new books. They were that good. Not sure if I still have my old “Managing UUCP and Usenet” and “DNS & Bind” 1st edition books around somewhere.

Earlava_pragsmall
20 Nov 2009, 12:27
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

Nice phrase. Windows programmer == bad. Thanks

Mike0_pragsmall
20 Nov 2009, 14:11

I don’t think that was what Povl was saying, Camal. It certainly isn’t what I think.

We do have our preferences and tendencies at Pragmatic Programmers. We lean to open source rather than proprietary, new rather than old, and agile rather than – non-agile. We are tracking smart phone software development because there is immense interest in that area. We have a strong line of Mac books and that naturally gets reflected in our articles. The company has a lot of experience with Ruby, and that is reflected, too. But we’re growing (a remarkable thing among publishers today) and we will naturally expand into new areas.

I might point out that there was not a single Mac-specific feature article in the latest issue, and hardly any in the magazine’s first five issues. And none are planned for the upcoming December issue. We are hardly Mac-only.

But the magazine is young, and still, I hope, open to fresh ideas. I want to expand our focus and I welcome everyone’s input about how to do that.

Earlava_pragsmall
20 Nov 2009, 15:01
Camal Cakar (28 posts)

Hello Mr. Swaine, don’t you think is quite funny to say that PragProg is against proprietary but there suggest Apple platform ? But thanks for your answer. Maybe I will continue to follow the progress of this magazine.

You must be logged in to comment