small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  PragPub
Generic-user-small
03 Mar 2011, 08:31
Michael Zehrer (1 post)

Is it possible to get the PragPub automagically delivered to my Kindle? Just like the other books?

Profile_pragsmall
05 May 2011, 09:44
Luca Corsini (6 posts)

Yeah that would be great, vote for that too, we just need a magazines shelf :P

Heroku headshot_pragsmall
13 May 2011, 13:49
Michael Yockey (1 post)

Adding my voice to the support. Kindle has changed how I consume all manner of reading materials. Having PragPub delivered to my free.kindle.com email address would be invaluable!

Generic-user-small
13 May 2011, 17:49
Rob Tsuk (1 post)

+1. Would pay a reasonable fee.

Wedding headshot_pragsmall
13 May 2011, 18:18
Colin Miller (5 posts)

It would also be great if there were a way to put it into the amazon store itself as a free “book” so that those with the kindle 1 or 2 (without wifi) can get it without sending it to the pay version of the email address. Sending it to free.kindle.com just emails it to me and I’d still have to transfer it manually (completely defeating the purpose).

There’s a lot of original Kindle’s and Kindle 2’s out there with no wifi support.

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
13 May 2011, 19:23
Dave Thomas (389 posts)

Colin: Amazon won’t allow free periodicals.

We’re looking in to doing automatic delivery—it’s mostly a question of the number of hours in the day.

Dave

Burglar-bender_pragsmall
04 Aug 2011, 11:10
Sergey Avseyev (1 post)

bq. Colin: Amazon won’t allow free periodicals.

I subscribed on “2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly” and all ok with it. I guess it isn’t shipping only, Amazon provides publishing services too. So anyway I’d like to receive you magazine periodically too :)

Generic-user-small
02 Dec 2011, 17:58
Gwen Jenkins (4 posts)

I’m new to the site so I’ve just seen the profile page that you rarely look at again after you sign up. A version of this is done, if you use Wi-Fi with your Kindle.

You provide Pragmatic with your Amazon Kindle ID, and make a Pragmatic email address an “authorized email address” in your Amazon account. Then when you buy books, Pragmatic will automatically email them to Amazon (using the free.amazon.com address) for Amazon to send to your Kindle.

However, if you only use 3G, Amazon just sends the file to the email address they have on file.

I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but I’ve used the free.amazon.com service successfully.

Generic-user-small
04 Jan 2012, 22:58
Shaun McDonald (3 posts)

I’ve just used the Kindle’s web browser to download the mobi version via wifi. It doesn’t let me to add to collections nor group them together on the home screen, but it does make it easy to get the magazines on to the device.

It would be nice if the pragprog.com site was a bit more responsive with the page width to improve the display of pragprog.com/magazines with the narrow screen.

Generic-user-small
09 Feb 2012, 21:05
Andy Leak (6 posts)

+1 - would love each magazine to be mailed to my kindle - just as book updates are auto-mailed.

1244_g3681-ps__square - 1x1 - skype - vg - 200pix_pragsmall
12 Feb 2012, 13:29
Paul Pladijs (24 posts)

+1

I would pay a reasonable fee.

Generic-user-small
22 Feb 2012, 22:29
Michael Marcus (2 posts)

This would be pretty simple to implement as a batch script or cron job on a personal machine or server: use wget to download the .mobi file, then sendmail to email it to your Kindle email address. (We are developers after all.)

A few points: + I used the direct link (e.g., http://magazines.pragprog.com/2012/pragpub-2012-02.mobi) rather than the link on the magazine page. This allows the script to figure out the desired file name based on the current date. + To prevent duplicates on my Kindle, I included a check to see if the file already exists on the file system. If the file is there, the script doesn’t bother to download or email it again. + I scheduled the script to run daily, in case the release date changes from month to month.

Generic-user-small
27 Sep 2012, 16:09
Joe Fifield (1 post)

Based on Michael’s comment, I created a small ruby script to download and email issues to kindle. If interested, it is available at:

https://github.com/jfifield/pragpub2kindle

Thanks for the great magazine!

Generic-user-small
24 May 2013, 11:12
Alf Stockton (1 post)

The idea of downloading the magazine to your current PC and then emailing it to Kindle/Amazon is not what I think of as a good solution. Pragprog to your PC Your PC to Amazon Amazon to Kindle I just see this as a hugh waste of bandwidth whereas if we configure our profiles so that the Amazon/Kindle email address is available to Pragprog one simple Pragprog to Amazon to Kindle would suffice. BTW I would be happy to do the necessary programming/script. Possibly similar to what I have on a Raspberry PI when it needs to tell/email me something. Quite small script if the magazine is stored on a Linux machine and if its not stored on a Linux machine why not?

Generic-user-small
09 May 2017, 14:15
Crashes (1 post)

That would be great

You must be logged in to comment