small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
21 Oct 2009, 21:57
Yarrow (2 posts)

I’m just starting to read the book – really liked the first chapter. The Context chapter, though, started to lose me. Though each one-or-two page topic was interesting in itself, I bought the book to read about the Pomodoro technique, not brain facts, however interesting. I started skimming after the third topic or so, trying to get on to Pomodoro-land.

I think I’d actually have read the Context topics if they were sidebars scattered throughout the text.

Generic-user-small
22 Oct 2009, 15:39
Brad Hutchins (142 posts)

Hmm yes side bars sound better. The brain and its learning capabilities is already hit pre thoroughly in Andy Hunt’s book already. But of course you can not make assumptions that other readers have read (or remembered everything) from that book. Hmmm, the point of full pages of brain learning VS sidebars… I guess I can see it either way.

Joefish-mini_pragsmall
22 Oct 2009, 17:49
Joseph Grace (10 posts)

Third perspective.

I think the Illustrated nature of this book makes its coverage much more easily digestible than average, and Andy Hunt’s “Pragmatic Thinking and Learning” book, while a tour de force, is pretty dense as I recall. For me, Staffan Nöteberg’s illustrated, collective treatment worked well.

For instance, it helped set the cognitive assumptions and boundaries underlying Pomodoro, as well as enlightening me about brain function and how it ties to common behaviors. I found it refreshing. Sidebar information can often be hard to find or synthesize since it can be so spread out. I feel better about the collection approach because it works better as a reference that way.

Finally, some of the behavior stuff really resonated with me, making me feel that (if Pomodoro addresses these issues) Pomodoro may be just what the doctor ordered. I believe that epiphany occurred because the brain/behavior information was presented as a whole (and not as optional sidebars).

So I enjoyed the collected, illustrated “Context” chapter approach.

Generic-user-small
23 Oct 2009, 03:04
John W Craig (1 post)

I really like the idea of this book, and how the hand drawn cover suggests that this is a no-tech approach to productivity. I too liked the first chapter, and hated the rest of the book. It reminds me of the old IBM mainframe programming manuals that assumed you already knew everything and just needed a reference.

Fortunately, since I really wanted to get to know the technique, I found the link to Francesco Cirillo’s site in Appendix B. From there I downloaded his free book, and actually learned something. It’s clearly written with good examles.

What I’d like to see is an enhanced version of Francesco’s text with Staffan’s cover and new or adapted illustrations.

Generic-user-small
25 Nov 2009, 20:21
Mojo Talantikite (1 post)

I just started reading the book last night and tend to agree with what was already mentioned here. Chapter 2 starts fizzling out a bit, and I feel like the contents of Flow (2.17) through the end of Chapter 2 could be combined and condensed (or scattered throughout the book). By the time we hit “Flow” I just want to get on to the mechanics of the technique, and have already had enough introduction and basic overview.

Other than that, great work so far!

You must be logged in to comment