small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Other Stuff
Generic-user-small
12 Sep 2012, 16:39
Michael McCarty (2 posts)

The Dropbox API recommends the use of the Apps folder within Dropbox. A number of other publishers use this. Could you move the Pragmatic Bookshelf to use this as well. This will help to prevent a massive root Dropbox folder.

Thanks.

Generic-user-small
08 Nov 2012, 00:46
Hiroshi Saito (1 post)

+1 I do think same since I learnt “O’Reilly Media” folder is in the “Apps” folder. Why no one response this topic until now?

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
13 Nov 2012, 18:33
Dave Thomas (388 posts)

We were the first publisher to have Dropbox support, and the Apps convention was not yet in place.

If we move now, we’ll orphan existing users’ books (unless anyone knows of a way to bulk move a folder across multiple accounts)

Generic-user-small
05 Dec 2012, 18:34
Michael McCarty (2 posts)

Can the migration be on a per person basis? Allow for a user setting where we can specify where that title will go.

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
05 Dec 2012, 22:30
Dave Thomas (388 posts)

No, because we deliberately sandbox ourselves—we don’t want the ability to be able to write anywhere in a person’s Dropbox

Generic-user-small
13 Mar 2013, 20:10
Thomas Gallagher (3 posts)

There needs to be a way to change this. Too many app folders are getting in the way in my main Dropbox folder and the ones that don’t play nice and let me move them to a subfolder are starting to be removed to keep my Dropbox usable. It isn’t of much use to have a Dropbox sync feature if people end up not using it because it doesn’t work for people the way it is setup.

Generic-user-small
13 Mar 2013, 20:21

I am not certain, but it seems Dropbox may have fixed the problem themselves. I moved the folders myself and so far resending a book has not in a new folder being created at the root of my Dropbox. I have not been able to confirm yet whether the files I sent to my Dropbox have actually been put into the folder I moved though.

Generic-user-small
13 Mar 2013, 20:51

Ok, I’ve confirmed it. After moving the Pragmatic Bookshelf folder into a Books folder on my Dropbox, files that I send to Dropbox are stilled put into the Pragmatic Bookshelf folder in it’s new location rather then a new Pragmatic Bookshelf folder being created in the root folder. Moving the O’Reilly Media folder also worked without issue. It looks like you can move app folders wherever you want and they are still accessible to the app in question as expected.

Profile_pragsmall
23 Apr 2013, 09:02
Luca Corsini (6 posts)

It seems to work, I received a notification about the unlinking and the relinking of Pragmatic BookShelf app upon moving my folder, now I’ll delete a book and try to send it again….. aaaaaand that seems to work :D nice job dropbox!!

Generic-user-small
04 Jul 2013, 18:11
Paul Henderson (1 post)

Yep. Works for me now, too. Moving it to the Apps folder or to my own ‘Books’ folder. Dropbox seems to mark it as an ‘app folder’ no matter where it’s put. Super nice system from Dropbox and PragProg!

You must be logged in to comment