small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Other Stuff
Eu_yeah_pragsmall
30 Nov 2009, 22:37
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa (11 posts)

Hello pragprog!

I’m an old and big fan of everything you guys have done/are doing. I remember when I first bought the Pragmatic Programmers and how reading it broke so many paradigms in the sphere of my professional life.

Right now, I’d like to ask for some help. I’m starting to implement something that will need to use a publishing system similar to what you have. I have been reading with great interest through the prapub maganzine about how you wired your publishing system.

I don’t want to copy nor anything similar, I’d like some guidance, some words of wisdom of where to start, where/what to look and cost-benefits (taking into account the most valuable resource we all have is time!).

I have some material I’d like to publish. Nothing like the big books of pragprog, some stuff I’d like to publish by myself. However, I want them to look professional and to be available in many different formats, and that if I ever want to change the content or layout, I could, without too much effort, regenerate the output (and add additional output formats) on demand.

My question is: What to us? What toolchain? What framework?

I have read about Apache Forrest, but I’m like the Ruby/Python way and minimalist, so I’d rather avoid gorillas. But maybe I’m judging the mentioned framework badly.

Anyway, what do you think I should do? I don’t want to use web services or any other SaaS solution, I want to have full control over it.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Marcelo.

Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall
09 Dec 2009, 21:34
Dave Thomas (389 posts)

I’ve written a number of articles in PragPub, our magazine: http://www.pragprog.com/magazines

You must be logged in to comment