small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
25 Jan 2010, 03:42
Michael Sync (1 post)

Hello,

Can I get the early edition of this book? Actually, I started learning Rails recently and think of buying 3rd edition of this book. but if you guys are going to release 4th edition soon, I want to get it the latest version..

Thanks, Michael Sync

93268d1500311c1447137de386a8053e_pragsmall
12 Feb 2010, 03:57
Nicolas Marchildon (3 posts)

According to a note David Heinemeier Hansson left on Twitter, “Beta book is not too far off”. I hope a paper version of the beta book will also be available. In the meantime, I might just go for the third edition and print the “list of changes for Rails 2.3 and Rails 3.

Samr_small_pragsmall
14 Apr 2010, 16:39
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

The beta is available now. A paper version is not yet available. We are waiting for Rails 3 to stabilize a bit more before that happens.

Noname_pragsmall
14 Apr 2010, 17:26
Melvin Ram (8 posts)

Sam, how much of the book has been updated? I’m having one of my web designers to start learning Rails because he wants to… and I want them to start with Rails 3. At the moment, is the book enough for them to learn Rails 3 or is it have a lot of gaps?

Samr_small_pragsmall
14 Apr 2010, 17:50
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Melvin, the beta contains the content listed in the index through Task I. If you are familiar with previous editions of this book, this corresponds roughly to parts I and II as well as the appendix on Ruby. The current thinking is to pull two or maybe three chapters into part II (the chapter that we are not sure on is the one on Active Resource).

In my opinion, this is plenty for a good introduction/overview. But I might be a wee bit biased, so ask around.

Part III isn’t done yet or included in this beta. In previous editions, this part went into considerably more depth on each of the Rails components, to the point of being an API reference on the most important parts. Since edition 1, rails has come a long way, first with API docs, and now guides. There still will be a need for something between what is in the book for parts I and II, and what is available on the web, and that’s what Part III in Edition 4 will focus on.

Memo-00_pragsmall
14 Apr 2010, 21:22
Eduardo Chinchilla (4 posts)

I really appreciate if you include at least a basic discussion about the basis of engines, metal and rack and how they are used by rails. That said, i´m ready to order the ebook, it´s almost a tradition with every new major release of rails!!!

Samr_small_pragsmall
14 Apr 2010, 22:09
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Eduardo: that part is not done yet (it will be in Part III), but yes, that is the intent.

And, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Photo_9_pragsmall
15 Apr 2010, 02:04
Peter Whitfield (5 posts)

Hi Sam,

I’ve just scanned the beta book and have one suggestion. It would be good to have some indication of which bits are a significant departure from Rails 2.x. Perhaps some sort of visual device to help those moving from 2.x -> 3.0 to home in on the new/different stuff.

besides that, I’m looking forwards to your next instalment :-)

Cheers,

Peter

Samr_small_pragsmall
15 Apr 2010, 02:38
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Hi Peter,

I’m a bit reluctant to do so in any major way given the extent of the changes. I’m concerned that it would be a distraction.

While I ponder this, if you have an existing Rails 2.x application, one thing the Rails Core team endorses is rails_upgrade which will give you lots of helpful tips. (Note: I haven’t tried it).

Suggestion for all: this forum has the ability to create new topics. It hasn’t been a problem yet, but I’m a bit concerned about how well appending new topics to this one thread will scale :-)

You must be logged in to comment