small medium large xlarge

Manchot_60_pragsmall
15 Apr 2010, 16:57
Cédric Brancourt (3 posts)
I started to review this beta version. In the IDE/Editors section, I’ve been surprised to seed some nearly dead editors like arachno-ruby (last release Version 0.7.12 Released 25. Apr. 2006).

But there is no mention of RubyMine.

I hope the chapter has not been updated yet, or I would think that this book is not that objective :)

Regards

A Vim and RubyMine happy user

Samr_small_pragsmall
15 Apr 2010, 18:30
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Next beta will replace Arachno-Ruby with RubyMine. (You are not the first to provide this feedback, and your feedback is consistent with other feedback I have received. I am not an IDE user)

Your_image_pragsmall
16 Apr 2010, 14:32
Ian Swope (1 post)

Maybe not in the same vein but I find Coda to be a great ruby and rails editor. It’s all of the items I like about TextMate plus the ability to seamlessly drag and drop from remote clients. I’d say it’s a hell of a lot better than that bloated program Dreamweaver and I’m surprised it doesn’t get more mention. Just my $0.02. Keep up the great work.

Foto_profilo_pragsmall
19 Apr 2010, 18:37
Massimiliano Bertinetti (5 posts)

Yes, I’m another estimator of Rubymine. It can be used with commercial or open license, and it is planned a full support for Rails 3. I think it is actually the best multiplattform ide.

Chris_pragsmall
20 Apr 2010, 21:48
Christoph Jasinski (10 posts)

There are tons of editors and IDEs, see the rails google group. How about vim and all it’s plugins? Maybe this section should be removed from the book and linked to a web site where all the editors and IDEs are mentioned, cause there are no reasons to include or exclude some. Just an idea.

Cimg0269_pragsmall
13 Jun 2010, 11:05
Seth Arnold (22 posts)

Christoph, I know where you’re coming from - too many books head down the rabbit hole of espousing specific IDEs - but part of what I like about the pragprog books is the idea there is “curated knowledge” here.

Sure, you could Google a list of editors with neat features and IDEs that will shine your shoes, but there’s nothing fun about reading through a dozen possible choices. (And even much less fun trying out several of them.) Sam, as an active member of the community, has probably seen common complaints about some, praise for others, and can give informed choices about the two or three decent IDE options out there.

Getting a good working environment makes all the difference in the world. My productivity with C jumped hundred-fold once I learned about cscope, idutils, and how to make both play nicely in vim. Experienced developers didn’t talk much about it, just like they don’t talk much about their chairs – it is such an essential part of their work, they even forget it is there. But it was vital news to me at one time.

If all the vim+ruby users use a specific plugin, I’d like to know about it.

And I imagine everyone else who isn’t already using a tool they love would like to know the tried-and-true options.

Generic-user-small
16 Jun 2010, 09:10
Manuel Korfmann (4 posts)

So, if this section won’t be removed, I would highly recommend to mention vim + rails.vim + some other plugins.

Samr_small_pragsmall
16 Jun 2010, 12:38
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

What other vim plugins would you suggest?

Generic-user-small
22 Jun 2010, 13:15
Manuel Korfmann (4 posts)

Surround.vim, NERDtree.vim, snipmate.vim, fuzzyfinder.vim, fugitive.vim. I can recommend all plugins from tpope. But I like the IDEAvim plugin for Rubymine alot. Best of both worlds, most optimized rails editor (Rubymine) + all the advantages of vim .

Generic-user-small
22 Jun 2010, 14:59
Malcolm Arnold (21 posts)

I read this section and went to look at RadRails. Seems that RadRails is going to be folded into Studio 3. If so, may want to check/edit this before release of the book.

William_pragsmall
03 Sep 2010, 15:52
William Voll (2 posts)

I just bought this book and would like to add my 2 cents. In my current job I can only use Windows, coming from OS X I was very disappointed as developing for Ruby/Rails on a Mac is a dream, love Textmate. So I stumbled upon RubyMine, it is awesome and has replaced Texmate, sorry waiting for TM2 for years. Anyone remember Duke Nukem. Anyways real nice IDE. Great book!

Generic-user-small
05 Sep 2010, 01:49
David Kapp (8 posts)

Aptana Studio 3 (in beta right now) supports Rails 3 and works pretty nicely. It’s an especially good choice on Windows because the directory tree viewer works better than any other free editors I’ve seen on Windows. (Note: I’m not 100% sure the non-beta will be free, but I think it is. I haven’t really looked at 2 since it doesn’t support Rails 3.)

You must be logged in to comment