small medium large xlarge

John_bigger_pragsmall
11 May 2010, 14:18
John Ranaudo (5 posts)

On page 172 I modified the Gemfile to include “gem ‘will_paginate’ , ‘>= 3.0.pre’” then executed the bundle install. The following error appears during the process:

Installing sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5) from .gem files at /Users/john.ranaudo/.bundle/ruby/1.8/cache
with native extensions /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/installer.rb:482:in `build_extensions': ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension. (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Users/john.ranaudo/.bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /Users/john.ranaudo/.bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/sqlite3-ruby-1.2.5/ext/sqlite3_api/gem_make.out

When I try to start the server I get an error message, “sqlite3-ruby-1.2.5 is cached, but not installed. Try running ‘bundle install’. I try the bundle install again with no success and same error.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thank you, John

Samr_small_pragsmall
11 May 2010, 17:01
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

If you got to page 172, clearly you had sqlite3-ruby already installed and working properly.

Therefore, it looks like at there are least three issues: (1) why bundle install thought sqlite3-ruby wasn’t installed, (2) why bundle install couldn’t build sqlite3-ruby, and (3) why bundle install left your system in a “cached, but not installed” state.

Assuming that you have never used bundler before, I believe that you can temporarily get past this issue by removing the entire /Users/john.ranaudo/.bundle directory, and then installing will paginate separately:

sudo gem install will_paginate --pre

This will only get you past this particular error. Ultimately, you will want to have bundler working. I suggest you reporting an issue with bundler.

John_bigger_pragsmall
11 May 2010, 17:11
John Ranaudo (5 posts)

Sam,

Upgrading to xcode 3.2.2 and iphone sdk 3.0 for snow leopard resolved my issue http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1350359/snow-leopard-ruby-on-rails-sqlite3-issue

Thank you for taking the time to help.

John

Generic-user-small
21 May 2011, 10:45
renne wilam (3 posts)

Wow. What a coincidence – was looking for a solution for the exact problem of the Gem install issue from page 172 when I happened to see this same issue here and I am really lucky to get the answer right away!! This forum is going to be a favorite haunt of mine again and will definitely come back for more help and tips that I can make use of in future – this is a real useful find for me!!

You must be logged in to comment