small medium large xlarge

Me_pragsmall
07 Jun 2010, 14:27
Chad Ostrowski (8 posts)

I was excited to see that testing was more integrated in this version of the book. Whew, that testing chapter in v3 was arduous.

However, Rails is a great framework for Test Driven Development. I was hoping no code would be written in this book until a failing test was written first. You know, make the unofficial name of the book Agile, Test Driven Web Development with Rails (ATDWDR is a great acronym).

I’m glad testing is dealt with in a more timely fashion, but it’s not given the emphasis it needs. If I weren’t being encouraged to learn TDD by my coworkers, I would likely skip over the testing sections.

I know this would/will take an even larger refactoring, but this book already gives a great example of how Rails apps ought to be built. It could be the role model.

Samr_small_pragsmall
07 Jun 2010, 19:36
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

I can tell that this will likely end up being a Frequently Asked Question. I’m continuing to look for ways to improve things, but my current take is that this is too much for a single book to take on. In particular, it feels like too many things to throw at people at once, particularly as much of the audience for this book is new to Ruby.

I very much want the primary focus of this book to be on Rails. My experience with TDD is that you spend as much time (if not more) on writing good tests than you do on implementing the function needed to get those tests passing.

I still haven’t had time to look at it, but for people who are familiar with Ruby and Rails, and would simply like to learn about TDD in a Rails context, Rails Test Prescriptions looks like it will be a good book.

You must be logged in to comment