small medium large xlarge

Samr_small_pragsmall
23 Jun 2010, 17:54
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

The next beta will include a chapter covering Active Record (roughly covering what was in chapters 18 through 20 in the previous edition). It has been significantly reworked, streamlined, and updated to reflect the arel changes. This is a big piece of work, and I’ve completed the first draft, it has been reviewed by the editor, and I have her review comments back.

What I am mostly waiting on at this point is news as to when (or if) the Rails 3.0 RC release will be made. Word is that it that the Rails core team is wrapping up everything at this time, but if the release isn’t made by this weekend, I will push out a beta early next week.

Thanks for your patience.

Cimg0269_pragsmall
24 Jun 2010, 10:46
Seth Arnold (22 posts)

Wow. That Arel thing looks like a giant change, and I’m very surprised they are introducing the deprecation warnings in 3.1 and removing the functionality in 3.2. Seems like a large enough pile of things to justify a new major version number to me. (I don’t normally think of point releases as removing functionality – hopefully just bugs…)

Looking forward to some in-depth hand-holding on this one, Sam. :)

Thanks

Samr_small_pragsmall
24 Jun 2010, 11:47
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Arel is an example where describing how things are intended to be used in Rails 3.0 - as opposed to how they were, how they changed, or the reasons for the change - make this relatively easy to pick up.

All of the depot chapters in edition 4 already were updated to use Arel in this manner.

As to Rails version numbers, I suspect that it will take longer than the Rails team expects to remove the older APIs in this case.

Me-new-3_pragsmall
24 Jun 2010, 13:28
Aston J (18 posts)

Thanks for the update Sam.

Rails 3 is certainly taking longer than I expected to get to gold!

You must be logged in to comment