small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
27 Jun 2010, 18:31
Joe Workman (2 posts)

I started the depot project while Rails was in beta 3. Since then Rails has been updated to beta 4. Is there a way to upgrade my depot project to beta 4? Is it even worth the trouble?

Cheers, Joe

Me-new-3_pragsmall
27 Jun 2010, 19:51
Aston J (18 posts)

I did the same - then my depot app broke LOL!

I ended up installing RVM (ruby version manager) so now I have beta3 and beta4 and use 3 for the depot app.

Cimg0269_pragsmall
28 Jun 2010, 11:43
Seth Arnold (22 posts)

And how should this be handled in deployed sites, when 3.0 is replaced with 3.0.1? Or 3.0.4 with 3.1…

Samr_small_pragsmall
28 Jun 2010, 12:40
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

Rails supports upgrades between released versions.

The Rails Core team has upgraded live applications from one beta to the next.

Others, including Aston above, have had problems. I have not tried it myself.

My feeling is that learning Rails is hard enough without dealing with the extra variables of migrating from beta versions. Everybody, yes–including myself, makes mistakes when following these steps and inadvertently learns valuable lessons about debugging a Rails application.

My suggestion depending on how far you have gotten - and I know it is going to sound cold - is to wait until the release candidate is released and take the opportunity to start over. Using the latest rails generate commands, and then copying individual files and verifying that each work should be quick work and quite safe.

Proceeding with the beta that you have started with is also an option, and won’t affect your learning. Just check the changes section in each beta of the book to see things that may affect you.

One note: do not upgrade if you are running Ruby 1.9.1, unless you also upgrade to Ruby 1.9.2-preview3 at the same time.

You must be logged in to comment