small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
06 Jan 2011, 05:26
Peter-Jan Celis (9 posts)

Hi,

I installed Mac Dev Tools and Macports and following the instructions for Snow Leopard I get the following errors/questions:

sudo gem update –system #first command Password: Updating RubyGems Updating rubygems-update Successfully installed rubygems-update-1.4.1 Updating RubyGems to 1.4.1 Installing RubyGems 1.4.1 RubyGems 1.4.1 installed File not found: README #Is it OK to ignore this?

$ sudo gem uninstall rubygems-update #Second command Remove executables: update_rubygems in addition to the gem? [Yn] #Is it OK I pressed enter/yes? Removing update_rubygems Successfully uninstalled rubygems-update-1.4.1

$ sudo gem install rails #3rd command … 24 gems installed Installing ri documentation for activesupport-3.0.3… Installing ri documentation for builder-2.1.2… ERROR: While generating documentation for builder-2.1.2 … MESSAGE: Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text=”<!-- HI -->” … RDOC args: –ri –op /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/builder-2.1.2/ri –title Builder – Easy XML Building –main README –line-numbers –quiet lib CHANGES Rakefile README doc/releases/builder-1.2.4.rdoc doc/releases/builder-2.0.0.rdoc doc/releases/builder-2.1.1.rdoc –title builder-2.1.2 Documentation (continuing with the rest of the installation) #No idea what any of this means… Installing ri documentation for i18n-0.5.0… Installing ri documentation for activemodel-3.0.3… … File not found: lib #How to install “lib”? How come I don’t have it?

$ sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby Password: Building native extensions. This could take a while… Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2 1 gem installed Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2…

No definition for libversion #What does this mean?

Enclosing class/module ‘mSqlite3’ for class Statement not known Installing RDoc documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2…

No definition for libversion

Enclosing class/module ‘mSqlite3’ for class Statement not known #What does this mean?

I’m a beginner so I’m probably doing something stupid - please enlighten me if you know what any of the above means!

Generic-user-small
06 Jan 2011, 05:33
Peter-Jan Celis (9 posts)

I went on to do this command:

for cmd in ruby irb gem rake; do which $cmd; done

And found:

/opt/local/bin/ruby /opt/local/bin/irb /usr/bin/gem /usr/bin/rake

How to “verify that your PATH environment variable is correct”, as the book says?

Thanks in advance!

PS Could issues in OP be related to difference in PATH?

Samr_small_pragsmall
07 Jan 2011, 14:28
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

echo $PATH will show you the value of your PATH environment variable.

I’d recommend that you proceed with the next paragraph and reinstall first rubygems and then rake. Once you complete that, reverify that you are consistently getting all of your tools from /opt/local/bin by reissuing:

for cmd in ruby irb gem rake; do which $cmd; done
You must be logged in to comment