small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
21 Jun 2011, 15:56
patrick lynch (12 posts)

My environment is Mac OSX, Snow Leopard, Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 3.0.7. My problem is that when I enter rails console, at my Terminal I get the following messages: Usage: rails new APP_PATH [options]

Options: -O, [–skip-active-record] # Skip Active Record files -J, [–skip-proto etc

I was expecting to see a message such as: “Loading development environment (Rails 3.0.1)” I’d appreciate any help. Thank you

Generic-user-small
22 Jun 2011, 03:46
James West (104 posts)

The rails new command will create a new project. If you want to start a server then you want rails s

Generic-user-small
24 Jun 2011, 19:02
patrick lynch (12 posts)

James, Thanks for the info… This is what I did [using “Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial”]: 1. open the 1st Terminal [I’m using a Mac] 2. mkdir rails_project 3. cd rails_project 4. rails new first_app 5. open a 2nd Terminal 6. rails s 7. do a bunch of stuff… 8. on the 1st Terminal enter: rails console 9. this gives the error mentioned in my email above 10. on the 2nd Terminal enter: rails console 11. this gives message: Loading development environment (Rails 3.0.1) 12. this essentially is irb-like…for example I can enter 1 + 1 to get back 2… 13. Bottom Line: to run: rails console; you have to first run rails s. Please let me know if this is correct… Good weekend, Pat

You must be logged in to comment