small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
28 Oct 2011, 16:30
Jon Roberts (6 posts)

Just realized that I probably need the 3.1 edition…

I have bought the 1st (paper), 3rd (electronic) and 4th (paper) editions, all of which are out of date even though the last of these was only printed this year !

The rate of innovation is bewildering, is it even possible to keep upgrading working Rails projects to keep up with the latest version ?

I also own a 26 year old copy of Kernigan (RIP) and Pike’s book about Unix, and I can still usefully refer to it.

Samr_small_pragsmall
28 Oct 2011, 16:57
Sam Ruby (634 posts)

As one of the authors, I can certainly empathize with this. :-)

I will, however, state that the Rails team works really hard to (for example) make sure that a working Rails 3.0 project will work on Rails 3.1. You can, again for example, leave your images in the public directory if you set config.assets.enabled = false. You also don’t need to take advantage of CoffeeScript, and can continue to use Prototype/Script.aculo.us.

What is true is that best practices are evolving rapidly. Additionally, the scaffolding generator changed drastically which caused the instructions in the 1st edition to be relatively useless (but the code previously generated would still mostly work). For Rails 3, a tool was created to help you with the specifics of an upgrade.

Generic-user-small
29 Oct 2011, 13:44
Jon Roberts (6 posts)

Thanks for the tips Sam, I’ll buy the 3.1 ebook.

I can see a future scenario where the sheer amount of time needed to keep up with changes to Rails makes it less productive than other technologies. This would be a keen irony and a sad day for me.

My client envisages using our web app for the next ten years and I shudder to think how I am going to achieve this pragmatic request.

Anyway I look forward to catching up with Rails 3.1.

Thanks for writing the book.

You must be logged in to comment