small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  iOS Recipes
Jlundell-100x100_pragsmall
01 Jun 2011, 14:39
Jonathan Lundell (5 posts)

I implemented the splash screen by putting this in my app delegate:

PRPSplashScreen *splashScreen = [[[PRPSplashScreen alloc] init] autorelease];
    splashScreen.showsStatusBarOnDismissal = YES; 
    splashScreen.modalTransitionStyle = UIModalTransitionStyleCrossDissolve; 
    [self.navigationController presentModalViewController:splashScreen animated:NO];

…not bothering with a delegate. It works fine, except that my nav & tool bars, set up in my main view controller’s ViewWillAppear, didn’t show up (the bars are blank). Moving the bar-init logic to ViewDidAppear fixes the problem.

I can live with that, but I’m curious as to why it happens.

Generic-user-small
04 Jun 2011, 06:07
Matt Drance (54 posts)

Recalling this part of the chapter:

bq. This timing is important: the root view controller won’t properly present a modal view controller if its own view isn’t in place.

… you may have to force the issue by adding a benign self.navigationController.view to your code. Modal stacks on launch are tricky that way.

There’s also a bug in PRPSplashScreen (fixed since the last beta) that can cause the parent view to never receive viewWillAppear:. Here’s the fix:

~~~ - (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated { [super viewDidAppear:animated]; SEL didAppearSelector = @selector(splashScreenDidAppear:); if ([self.delegate respondsToSelector:didAppearSelector]) { [self.delegate splashScreenDidAppear:self]; } [self performSelector:@selector(hide) withObject:nil afterDelay:0]; } ~~~

The change is in the performSelector: wrapping. Dismissing a modal view (or popping one off the nav stack, etc) from within the scope of viewDidAppear: makes UIKit angry, so we push hide off to the next runloop iteration. Earlier copies of the code just called hide directly.

07 Jun 2011, 15:33

FYI, switching to performSelector fixed my problem; no need for the view reference.

07 Jun 2011, 16:17

But. The problem now is that I get a flash of my main view before the splash screen goes up, which sort of ruins the effect. It appears that both the main-view ViewWillAppear and ViewDidAppear are getting called before the splash screen appears. Which seems odd, since you’d think that only the hide would be affected by the change.

Generic-user-small
09 Jun 2011, 19:23
Matt Drance (54 posts)

Can you paste the entire contents of your appDidFinishLaunching method, and tell us what you’re testing on? Thanks Jonathan.

Generic-user-small
02 Sep 2011, 02:04
Anthony Thompson (1 post)

I’m having the same issue (looks great in sim, but main window flashes before transition); may I jump in here with my info?

My didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:
- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions
{
    CFAbsoluteTime jim = CFAbsoluteTimeGetCurrent ();
    [self.window addSubview:self.splashScreen.view];
    self.splashScreen.showsStatusBarOnDismissal = YES;
    self.splashScreen.modalTransitionStyle = UIModalTransitionStyleCrossDissolve;
    //kqVC is custom table view controller
    [self.kqVC presentModalViewController:splashScreen animated:NO];
    [self.window makeKeyAndVisible];

NSLog(@"LAUNCH %f",CFAbsoluteTimeGetCurrent () - jim);
    return YES;
}

I’m trying this on iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 BL1.

Thompson

Generic-user-small
15 Sep 2011, 03:05
Matt Drance (54 posts)

Looks like you’re adding the splash screen’s view to the window up top, when you should be adding the main/root VC’s view. Right now you’re presenting the splash screen onto itself, which is peculiar.

You must be logged in to comment