small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
14 Mar 2012, 21:18
ILIAS (5 posts)

Hello all I’m new to android programming and I have a problem. I created a sudoku app with your source code. The thing is that I made a puzzle generator for my puzzles to make them infinite.Now here is my problem : To save your pre-defined puzzle we had to use :

getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE).edit().putString(PREF_PUZZLE, toPuzzleString(puzzle)).commit();

In order to load the saved puzzle to make the Continue option to work we had to use :

puz = getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE).getString(PREF_PUZZLE,easyPuzzle);

BUT this works for the predefined puzzle stored in a private final string called “easypuzzle” at the beggining of the game.class . My puzzle is generated and stored in a 1 dimentional array when user clicks New Game.As a result I’m trying to pass my generated puzzle as a reference(this is what I think) cause i tried to pass it like this :

getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE).getString(PREF_PUZZLE,toPuzzleString(puzzle));

and when I close the game or just go back and try to Continue my game generates a new puzzle for me (or this is what I think it is doing) instead of loading the saved one.

Ps: Because my puzzle is stored in a 2 dimentional array I had to make a new method to convert it my array to a 1 dimentional array in order to make your toPuzzleString and fromPuzzle string work.

My method is:

private int[] to1dimarray(int old[][]) { int newarray[] = new int [81]; int newsize = 0; if (newsize < 80) { ` for (int x = 0; x < 9; x++) { for (int y = 0; y < 9; y++) { newarray[newsize] = game[x][y]; newsize = newsize + 1; } } } return newarray; }`</code> I know it’s not perfect but I’m new to android so forgive me.I have my generated and converted to 1 dimention array in
a variable and I wanna pass it somehow to :

puz = getPreferences(MODE_PRIVATE).getString(PREF_PUZZLE, xxxxxxxxxxxxx);

But I don’t know how! And I’m not sure I completely understand why you use “easypuzzle” in this getPreferences method which is inside getPuzzle method.Could you pls explain this to me? What am I doing wrong? Thank you all for your time any help would be appreciated….

Burnette_ed_pragsmall
14 Mar 2012, 22:18
Ed Burnette (1339 posts)

The second parameter of getString() is the default that will be returned in case the preference is not already set.

What you want to do is make a version of toPuzzleString and fromPuzzleString which works with your two dimensional array, converting it to and from an 81 character string consisting of the letters ‘0’ to ‘9’.

Generic-user-small
17 Mar 2012, 15:57
ILIAS (5 posts)

Hello there.Thank you for really quick answer.I had problems posting in the forum for the past 2 days I don’t know why.Maybe forums were down? Anyway instead of making fromPuzzleString and to PuzzleString work with 2 dimention arrays I used my function mentioned above and now the game is running very well! I have one more question now…Can you explain to me why the used array which is used to calculate the used tiles is a 3 dimention array? Or this statement private final int used[][][] = new int[9][9][]; mean something else? I’m asking cause I wanna use this array ,convert it to a string and use string.length() command to rise up a dialog when user ends his game.And 3 dimention really confuse me…Thank you for your time Mr Burnette..

Generic-user-small
19 Mar 2012, 19:38
Edgar Quinto (3 posts)

I have a very basic problem with the Sudoku example as well. When typing the line “public class Sudoku extends Activity implements OnclickListener { I get the following error message: “The type Sudoku must implement the inherited abstract method View.OnClickListener.onClick(View)” in the Sudoku.java file. Could you please advice?

Edgar - Mexico

Burnette_ed_pragsmall
12 Apr 2012, 17:41
Ed Burnette (1339 posts)

Ilias, think of it as a two dimensional array, rows by columns. For a given row and column, it stores a list of the numbers that have already been seen from this spot.

Burnette_ed_pragsmall
12 Apr 2012, 17:46
Ed Burnette (1339 posts)

Edgar, near the top of Sudoku.java you should have:

import android.view.View.OnClickListener;

and inside the body of the Sudoku class you should have:

public void onClick(View v) { switch (v.getId()) { case R.id.about_button: Intent i = new Intent(this, About.class); startActivity(i); break; // More buttons go here (if any) … } }

Compare your version against this one and pay careful attention to the indentation:

• http://media.pragprog.com/titles/eband3/code/Sudokuv1/src/org/example/sudoku/Sudoku.java

It may help if you press Ctrl+Shift+F to reformat your code.

Generic-user-small
16 Apr 2012, 14:04
ILIAS (5 posts)

Mr Burnette I eventually managed to show the popup dialog when user ends the game with a different way and additionally I managed to make the (given) numbers unchangeable and different color.Thank you for your help

Burnette_ed_pragsmall
08 May 2012, 20:30
Ed Burnette (1339 posts)

You’re welcome.

Generic-user-small
21 Apr 2015, 18:58
alex human (1 post)

ILIAS, give me please your code sudoku, when you done finish game. PLEASE

You must be logged in to comment