small medium large xlarge

Me_pragsmall
13 Jul 2011, 16:45
Dave Sanders (3 posts)

Most of what I know on Cuke is stuff I’m learned from the rspec book and then experience on a project that uses almost nothing but Cuke for BDD. Is this book geared more toward absolute beginners, or is there something for The RSpec Book readers?

One issue I’m having is that all of the steps I’ve written that interact with the page are derivatives from other stuff I’ve found - so I might not be doing things the best way. The other major issue is that the site I’m testing is extremely AJAX heavy and I’ve gone through several iterations and attempts at a good “Then wait for AJAX” steps, and each seem to have their flaws.

Are these things that this book is going to address in depth?

Now that I think about it, I almost would rather see a “Cucumber Recipes” book for more recipe style problem identification and solving. Plus it’d be a hoot to sit and watch the book store folks try to figure out where to shelve it… :)

I’ll probably pick this up anyway, but hoping that it will cover the above areas in great depth and example.

19 Jul 2011, 09:04
Matt Wynne (92 posts)

Hi Dave.

What we’ve tried to do in The Cucumber Book is go into much more depth than was possible in a few chapters on Cucumber in The RSpec Book.

The first part of the book is a tutorial which does assume the reader is a beginner. The feedback we’ve had so far is that even people who’ve been using Cucumber for a while have learned a lot from that first part: everything is explained in real depth. So I’d hope you’ll get something out of that part even though you’ve got a fair bit of experience.

In the second part there’s a worked example which demonstrates how we like to use Cucumber to grow an application design from the outside-in. There’s no Rails, and a real focus on how Cucumber can be used to help you do domain-driven design. This touches on a lot of the discussions around whether to use an imperative or declarative style, and how to structure your support layer for maximum flexibility.

The third part of the book is geared towards more advanced readers. It’s basically a selection of recipes (we’ve actually considered that as the title for this part of the book) for different situations you’ll encounter when using Cucumber. Have a look at the table of contents[1] for yourself. In your particular case I expect you’ll be interested in the chapter specifically on using Capybara for testing AJAX heavy web apps, as well as a chapter on testing asynchronous systems which may well also be relevant to you.

We’re working on both those chapters and they should be out in the next few weeks.

[1] http://media.pragprog.com/titles/hwcuc/toc.pdf

Generic-user-small
27 Jul 2011, 14:56
Suresh Iyer (6 posts)

Thanks, @Matt, for taking the time out to explain what this book is about and how it is different from The RSpec Book. I too haven’t made up my mind to pick this one up since it seems - at first sight - more of the same :). However, your reply has convinced me that it is NOT so and there are some real gems waiting to be picked up. Thanks.

Having said that, I think it is better you guys make an effort to highlight (and thus try to convince) to the readers that this book is not just “more of the same”. You cannot really blame folks who might end up thinking that way by reading just the title and the short snippet. There is no mention, as of now, of “And, hey guys, lest you think this book covers just 10 or 20% more than what is covered in The RSpec Book, you cannot be more wrong! The RSpec Book covers 10 or 20% of what we cover in this book! And these are the main differences (or things that are not covered in the other book): X, Y, Z”. I think something like that would be of great help (not for me, now that I know, but for others who might not take the time out to visit the forum or Google :).

Just my two cents.

PS: Thanks @DaveSanders for raising this. I reached this page via Google. The query was <difference between “The RSpec Book” and “The Cucumber Book”> :)

16 Aug 2011, 11:42
Matt Wynne (92 posts)

Thanks for the feedback Suresh.

We certainly want people who come to the book’s page to get a clear idea of the extra stuff they’ll find in this book even if they’ve already got the RSpec Book. As we work on the last part of the book (Practical Cucumber) hopefully this difference will become more and more clear, and once we’ve got more of that content released we’ll go back and change the book’s page to reflect that.

You must be logged in to comment