small medium large xlarge

Square-me_pragsmall
18 Jul 2011, 23:56
Kendall Gifford (2 posts)

I’ve been reading the RSpec book and I’m loving it. I was curious and just read the forum post “How is this book going to compare to The RSpec Book?” (http://forums.pragprog.com/forums/166/topics/9362) since I had the same question about this book. Though I’m sure there’ll be some redundancy, I’m looking forward to this book since I’d love to improve my BDD/Cucumber-fu.

That said, I’m curious if the “selection of recipes” for the 3rd part of your book is already completely decided upon or not. If not, are you fielding any requests for recipe topics (or is it too late in the cycle for that)?

I personally would love to see an example of how to employ cucumber to develop a rails engine. More generally, I’d be curious to see what the BDD/Cucumber “best practices” are for any/all “plugins” of existing software frameworks (rails just being one). Do you write features the same way you would while writing an app that uses said framework directly? Or, do you take into account that a developer using your plugin with said framework to create their app is, in actuality, one of the “roles” you may reference in your feature narratives?

I guess I’m really curious about the differences in the language involved and how to decide how/when to break functionality out into distinct features. If by any small chance you are taking requests, consider this a +1 for a “rails plugin/engine” example.

19 Jul 2011, 09:08
Matt Wynne (92 posts)

Hi Kendall,

Yes, we’re absolutely taking requests! This is what the beta period is all about - getting feedback on our plan and iterating on it based on what you - the readers - would like to see in the book.

I think you’ve made a great suggestion. What do other readers think?

Reply with a +1 if you’d like a chapter on Rails Engines!

Generic-user-small
20 Jul 2011, 06:41
Maharohasina RABARISOA RIRIVA (1 post)

+1 I think the chapter on testing heavily ajax service an restfull web service is already a big step compared to the good “the rspec book”. And I can’t wait to finaly read these chapters. When do you expect to release the beta of these ?

Cheers

Pzol_weemee_pragsmall
24 Jul 2011, 05:09
Piotr Zolnierek (1 post)

The first chapters are well, the basics, they are nicely written, I like them, but I can’t wait for the more advanced stuff!

I would love to see the API testing, Aruba and Anti Patterns. I have use Cucumber mostly for testing APIs, so I have a living documentation right away. So this is definitely a great thing to see.

Also, what I see a lot is people getting disappointed by cucumber, because they put each step in testing a website, each click in a cucumber step and then - rightly - complain there is too much glue code.

Generic-user-small
24 Jul 2011, 20:30
Bharat Ruparel (148 posts)

+1 for Rails Engines +5 for Capybara-webkit for testing Javascript. Thanks. Bharat

24 Jul 2011, 22:14
Matt Wynne (92 posts)

Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone - keep it coming!

The REST chapter is coming in Beta 2, which should be out in the next few days.

The Aruba and AJAX chapters are being worked on right now, so you can expect them soon.

Generic-user-small
05 Aug 2011, 16:37
Nicholas Laiacona (4 posts)

In the “testing a rest web service”, you only show how to test the “index” action. Would you show all of the actions? That is, create 7 methods like this:

When /^the client requests GET (.*)$/ do |path| get(path) end

for each of the RESTful actions.

Generic-user-small
05 Aug 2011, 18:02

I created a step with a table. I got the stub routine that said the parameter is of type “Cucumber::Ast::Table”. Would you include a paragraph about how to use that object in the book? I didn’t see any references to it.

Generic-user-small
05 Aug 2011, 22:09

I’d love to see a section about how to deal with external services. For instance, if I’m building an interface to Paypal, I can’t hit their site every time I run the tests, so there has to be some mocking. But, on the other hand, I would like to have one test (that I don’t run often) that does hit their test site. (Another example is showing a Twitter feed.)

You must be logged in to comment