small medium large xlarge

Photo 1_pragsmall
12 Sep 2011, 06:03
Antony Marcano (3 posts)

I’ve not finished the book yet so… if later in the book you come back to this example let me know…

In section 1.1 the first example is a fair and simple example. As the book continues, you show the reader good examples where the cut you take of the task hierarchy is at a more consistent abstract level (so far). There is still the potential that the reader may take this first example as exemplary (unless you come back to it later and say why in some places it’s probably too low level).

To give the newbies the best introduction, I think the first example might work better if it was at a similar level of abstraction to your first walking skeleton example.

One approach could be to use your first “2+2” calculator example as your example in section 1.1.

Alternatively, the smallest change I would make is to change the Given and the When: `

Given I have chosen to sign up
When I sign up with valid details

`

21 Sep 2011, 09:52
Matt Wynne (92 posts)

Thanks Antony, I’ve changed that example in 1.1 to use a higher level of abstraction as you suggested. I’ve also added a second scenario to cover a failure case. Let me know what you think when the next beta ships.

Generic-user-small
03 Nov 2011, 23:42
Chuck van der Linden (11 posts)

I like the first examples, it did however cause me to pause and think a moment

“wait, he has ‘chosen to sign up’ but it never says anything about ‘when I sign-in’, while up in the description it says ‘once signed in’. Does this mean the user is automagically signed in (without perhaps having to click something in the confirmation mail?) at the end of the sign-in process? Or are we missing something to indicate they still have to sign in?”

So right away it’s causing me to ask questions about how the system should work (which is not a bad thing) and ensure I understand the example correctly

Maybe it’s too early to talk about this aspect of doing specs this way, but if I was working on the project I’d probably want that clarified.. I might expect a step before the last one in your example that says

@And I am automatically signed in@
(or something along those lines, or the final step modified slightly to indicate that is the case)

If there was a confirm mail required then I’d expect the last step to be totally different and indicate something like ‘my account is created but not activated until I click the confirm link’ and a separate example for what happens when someone confirms their account (and one for what if they never confirm, etc)

You must be logged in to comment