small medium large xlarge

Dsc00765_pragsmall
01 Nov 2010, 17:21
Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (114 posts)

How’d things go today? Post your writing status here for Nov. 1!

Every day, we’ll create a status update thread for you to post your status for the day.

Untitled-1_pragsmall
01 Nov 2010, 17:27
Josh Carter (40 posts)

Good 11/1 morning: coffee, bagel, writing. (No early morning meetings, w00t!)

Generic-user-small
01 Nov 2010, 22:17
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (8 posts)

Got a topic picked and all the tools installed. The topic is Twitter text mining, and the tools are Perl, Ruby, R, LaTeX and LyX.

Corey_pragsmall
01 Nov 2010, 22:38
Corey Haines (1 post)

Downloaded OMM Writer, wrote 1789 words, beginning the stories of my travels.

Generic-user-small
01 Nov 2010, 23:32
Janine Ohmer (10 posts)

Got a bit more done than I posted earlier. Upgraded to Scrivener 2.0, which was released today, and ended up writing 1408 words, which fills 4 pages. So I’ve earned one slacker day for later in the month. :)

Dmfcb_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 00:15
David Copeland (480 posts)
> wc *.md
      39     821    4924 intro.md
      44    1073    6235 part1.md
      83    1894   11159 total

It was actually very challenging; I don’t have much of a structure yet, and I’m not sure what this will look like at 50,000 words, but we’ll see!

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 00:30
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Participating as well. Got in a solid 45 minutes of writing this morning before I had to go give a 3 hour talk at Zendcon (if you happen to be here, make sure to look me up). Here’s my info, pulled from my commit today:

> git log -1 --name-status | egrep "^[MA]      " | awk ' {print $2}' | xargs wc | tail -1
     183     799    5221 total

Not a stellar day, but I’ll take it.

Randomly, you can use that one-liner to grab your info as well, that is assuming you’re using Git to track your changes (which if you aren’t, you should be… not that I’m biased or anything).

-T

Generic-user-small
02 Nov 2010, 01:45
Sean McMillan (4 posts)

So, I’ve gotten started. I’m using 750words.com to write; We’ll see how that works. I got about ~850 words today, which really isn’t much, but I’ll take it. Tomorrow is set to be a very busy day even without the writing… I’ll take a good shot at it though.

Arinsimeheadshot_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 02:02
Arin Sime (4 posts)

I wrote my first two pages! I picked one part of my topic that I wasn’t sure what to write, and just dove in. It took a little longer than I would like to write the two pages, and it is definitely a rough draft, but nonetheless, it meets the minimum criteria for done!

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 02:41
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I wrote my first two pages as well. By this I mean two, single-spaced pages with 0.30” of white space between each paragraph. The writing is great, I am stumbling and fishing around for stuff to say a bit, but it is definitely starting me off planning and thinking what I want to put in the book. I would like to interview at least three people who I believe are are highly successful in their work, and another three people who are highly unsuccessful in their work, and start weaving their stories into the book’s thesis that by using the right set of behavioral skills, the reader can help himself or herself rise within the corporate biosphere. I’m also asking myself, “am I writing this book because of my reaction to one particular associate at the office?”

Mike0_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 03:35
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

Kudos to all of you! Here’s too much information about my first day: Since I’m using PragProWriMo to revise a novel I wrote during NaNoWriMo last year, I guess I’m gaming the system in two ways: novel, not tech book; and revision, not just writing. Still, I felt I had to join in, and this was the project I had to tackle next. So: In the morning I mapped out my work for the evening. In the evening, I edited scenes 1 and 2, pages 2 through 6. The editing added a net of just one page (226 words) to the 174 pages (51713 words) for a current total of 175 pages (51939 words). Excelsior, y’all!

Fagiani_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 03:39
Paulo Fagiani (1 post)

wrote using 750words.com and liked the experience. I must confess that the subject is not entirely clear but it leads to talk about practicing things out.

Generic-user-small
02 Nov 2010, 07:22
Harold Shinsato (2 posts)

Thanks for the idea - I’ve written 1106 today. It was great getting started on a book idea I got in my hotel at Agile 2008 in Toronto. I suspect it might need to be completely rewritten - but the ideas are definitely getting more in focus just by writing.

02 Nov 2010, 07:37
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

I actually had a pretty good first day, I also used 750words.com, and got a good 1360 words in. I cheated a bit because I used some snippets I had written previously, plus some written-today content, but my snippet reserve is drying up, so upcoming days should be mostly new content.

My topic is cfengine, and 750words won’t let me lie: http://750words.com/entries/share/347004 :)

I feel honored to be in such distinguished company during PragProWriMo! Travis’ book introduced me to Git, and I really enjoy Michael’s writings. I’m really excited and determined to make it through the month. Good luck to everyone!

Hulten_small_headshot_pragsmall
02 Nov 2010, 14:48
Jeffrey Hulten (1 post)

I got my outlining done last night. Word count starts today.

You must be logged in to comment