small medium large xlarge

Profile_pic_pragsmall
04 Nov 2010, 11:15
Julian Gamble (34 posts)

Today I got some content work done on another chapter. I did some planning to remove roadblocks for a subsequent chapter.

Ry2_pragsmall
04 Nov 2010, 14:09
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

I spent 30 minutes this morning editing materials about a Bach digital library that I’m working on. Another 1000 words for #PragProWriMo – up to about 4000 words in my promising (but unruly) manuscript so far.

Profile_sm_pragsmall
04 Nov 2010, 15:13
Scott Dunn (11 posts)

Got 30 minutes in. Up to 6 pages and 2500 words.

Generic-user-small
04 Nov 2010, 15:46
Julian Harty (3 posts)

About 400 words on Test Automation this morning (PST)

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
04 Nov 2010, 16:07
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Missed yesterday. Between giving a talk and other conference stuff I was spent by the end of the day. Hoping to make it up later today with two additional pomodoros, but at least I’ve got today’s in. Stats from today:

786    3393   23317 total

I should point out that I don’t think my word count is going to be terrifically accurate because of coding samples and such. At any rate, I am comparing apples to apples as it is the same metric each day, but it’s not like I’ve got a cool 3,400 words sitting around (at least in my mind).

Gravatar_pragsmall
04 Nov 2010, 16:15
Brian K. Jones (1 post)

I’m getting a late start, but I have started page 6. 1642 words according to Pages, and no code yet. Still fleshing out concepts. I have a ToC that I’m using as a sort of outline, but right now it’s mostly background before getting to doing actual cool stuff. At some point I’ll link some of this dry conceptual stuff to my actual experience to make the book a bit more story-like and less boring.

Generic-user-small
04 Nov 2010, 19:38
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Started yesterday, and at 3000 words now. So, I am back on track. I have clear ideas about the first chapters, since they are at a foundational level. After that, I am more free to pick topics, and I think I will a few ideas to friends and colleagues, to see what subjects they are most enthusiastic about.

Since I do not assume familiarity with the programming language that is used (Haskell), the most difficult part is covering basic Haskell concepts without getting distracted from the main topic .

Generic-user-small
04 Nov 2010, 20:22
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Following the ‘release early, release often’ mantra:

http://danieldk.eu/corpling/ https://github.com/danieldk/corpling

Dmfcb_pragsmall
05 Nov 2010, 00:35
David Copeland (437 posts)

Decided I had to have some organization and outline. Created one, and started writing to that. Grabbed text from my previous three-days’ work and pasted in when I hit a section I’d already written for. Really hard not to edit, but I still got something done. I’m at 6500 words, which is almost right on track.

Here’s my outline so far:

Intro

# Why ## Why are command line apps important? ## Why should we make them awesome? ## Why Ruby? # What makes an awesome command line app? # How? ## Making a simple automation script ## Making a full-blown command-suite style application ## Making a command line app with a rich user experience # Other Tools & Techniques ## Installation (apt, yum, brew, etc.) ## Application Design/Implementation ## Testing

_mg_2366_pragsmall
05 Nov 2010, 01:45
John M Athayde (39 posts)

Finished up one of our Tips and got 5 pages done in the process. Whew!

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
05 Nov 2010, 02:02
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I completed 2.25 pages to make up for yesterday’s being short one-quarter of a page and today the words flowed a lot better for me. I think I’m taking to heart Susannah’s and Michael’s advice to just write and let the words roll out while the going is good. I had this mental image of some people I worked with, especially one person with a very in-your-face way of working, and the imagery this evoked also helped my fingers fly on the keyboard. I didn’t worry much about my sometimes stupid sentences or grammar errors or spelling errors. I made myself two steaming teas that I sipped while typing away.

David Copeland helped me get started with implementing git version control. I’m doing the book effort on Fedora 13, but I also have a shiny new MacBook and I’m sure I will want to write on that at a later date. I still have to learn about git, I hope I actually followed David’s advice in the way he intended.

I had a pretty good evening of writing and the words flowed well and I kept our honored host’s advice foremost: just write. Edit later.

Aucouturier_copy_pragsmall
05 Nov 2010, 03:00
Jean-Julien Aucouturier (5 posts)

Already Nov 5th here in Japan. Still on track, with some 3600 words. Write, no edit, no research. TK TK TK.

For the first time, I had a difficult time getting to it this morning. I made the mistake of “briefly” attending to what seemed like urgent emails and project planning before getting to writing. Withdrawing from all this, and putting attention to the manuscript proved very difficult, as my head was buzzing with unrelated details and apprehensions for the day. Actually had to try something that looked like meditation for a few minutes to get back on track. I think I will make it a rule to not open emails before I get my one pomodoro of writing done when I get to work in the morning.

Also, today, some kind of structure seemed to emerge. I just made a brief outline, and will see if that consolidates or dies out in the next few days.

All the best to everybody!

05 Nov 2010, 05:07
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

Still on track! I wrote 1,021 words today, for a grand total of 5,066 words so far: http://750words.com/entries/share/353849

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2010, 06:30
Janine Ohmer (10 posts)

Sorry I’ve disappeared for a few days - major system emergency in the day job means I had to put my sysadmin hat on full time for a bit. I hope it will be all resolved tomorrow and I can get back to writing over the weekend.

Untitled-1_pragsmall
06 Nov 2010, 06:29
Josh Carter (40 posts)

Actually did write on the 4th, was just too slack to post an update here. :)

You must be logged in to comment