small medium large xlarge

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
05 Nov 2010, 02:07
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I think it helps the creative process to sip your favorite beverage while writing. Mine is tea – either herbal, black, or combinations of spices and black teas. I don’t like soft drinks. Keeping oneself hydrated properly helps with writing and you feel fresher, too. Maybe it is the caffeine? But I’m a night time writer and usually sip rooibos teas at this hour.

Generic-user-small
05 Nov 2010, 08:27
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Tea addict here as well. Being fresh indeed helps. The ritual of making tea also gives some time to recharge ;).

08 Nov 2010, 03:23
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Yes, exactly. The tea making ritual gives me a few needed minutes to recharge and think about what I’m doing. It is a more reflective activity than drinking coffee, perhaps because steeping tea is itself an artistic experience. It helps all day through.

Profile_sm_pragsmall
08 Nov 2010, 15:07
Scott Dunn (11 posts)

Not sure if mine is a ritual (although a tea house here will teach me for a fee), but my tea is often a Bodum pot with Yerba Mate and some blend of green tea.

Untitled-1_pragsmall
13 Nov 2010, 05:16
Josh Carter (40 posts)

Coffee coffee coffee coffee must have more coffee… (Better switch to decaf.)

+1 for Cafe Bustelo instant, tasty and instant gratification!

14 Nov 2010, 02:12
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

I’m a coffee guy myself, although I also enjoy Yerba Mate, like Scott. I enjoy it more, however, in the traditional Argentinian Mate gourd, though mine is still packed somewhere after the recent move. I should look for it sometime.

For those who have never seen one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

But for now, coffee it is :)

14 Nov 2010, 03:12
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I just had to click your link, Diego, and learn more about Yerba Mate. Scott, Diego, is Yerba Mate available here in the USA? Are mate gourds and straws available for purchase here in the States? Silly question I suppose!

Ry2_pragsmall
14 Nov 2010, 12:06
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

I’ve been an avid tea drinker ever since my grandmother fed it to me (Red Rose Tea + milk + sugar: yum). As the days grow shorter and the temperature drops, I especially love having hot tea (usually Darjeeling or Irish Breakfast) on tap during the day. Tea + the music of J. S. Bach are typical writing companions for me.

Bob: I’ve not had Yerba Mate myself. It does seem to be available from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:aps,k:yerba%20mate&page=1

Profile_sm_pragsmall
14 Nov 2010, 14:58
Scott Dunn (11 posts)

@Bob - yes, although used to be very hard to find. You can get it at Trader Joe’s (Guaki?) and many more varieties at health food stores (I even heard in bulk). Fortunately in Orange County, we have a South American grocery store where they stock LOTS of it. I buy several kilos at a time. I also used to buy very good roasted and plain (tasteless) from Upton Tea online. Very nice tea shop.

BTW, the taste does take a little getting used to, but the mental alertness is worth it. I love good coffee, but to much can put me on rails. Not so with Mate.

Good Luck! Scott

15 Nov 2010, 00:14
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Well I ordered some Yerba Mate from Upton Tea. But just a sampler to see how I like it. The shipping charge actually came to more! A little old lady I met some weeks ago who had foot surgery recommended Upton as well, in between winces of pain…

Bob

15 Nov 2010, 06:07
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

Bob: nice to hear you are going to give Mate a try. As Scott said, the taste takes a little getting used to, but I also find it’s easier on the stomach than coffee, and it has quite a caffeine kick. My mother is from Argentina, so I grew up watching her drink it, but I never tried it myself until adulthood, and it did take several tries until I “got it”.

Drinking mate the traditional way (like in Argentina and Uruguay, mostly) is quite a ritual. You have to get the water temperature right (almost- but not to the boiling point), if you are drinking from a gourd there’s some technique to putting the leaves in it and then pouring the water so that not all the leaves are wet at once, so you can make the taste last longer. Here’s a pretty good description with photos: http://yerbamatedrinker.com/how_to_prepare_the_mate.html If you love the ritual of making tea, the ritual of making mate may just be the thing for you.

Then, of course, is the social aspect of drinking mate. In Argentina, if you are drinking with a group, everyone drinks from the same gourd, passing it along. Of course, this is also not without its rules, which of course can also be found on the Internet :) http://www.argiesyerbamate.com/rules.html

Now you all got me thinking about mate, I’ll have to go buy some, and find my gourd.

15 Nov 2010, 22:23
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Hi Diego,

I looked over both the sites you provided. yerbamatedrinker.com is very interesting, and that gourd looks like it has about 100g of yerba mate inside. I have a feeling that the two tiny $1.00 yerba mate samples I bought from Upton are not going to fill even 1/8 a gourd. Upton has “green” yerba mate and “roasted” yerba mate. So I bought a sample of each. I have to go shopping about 18 miles from here later this week, and they have a Trader Joe’s in the same plaza, so maybe I can get a 1 pound bag there….

Bob

18 Nov 2010, 03:42
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Hi Diego, my yerba mate tea from Upton Tea arrived today. They are just two little 12g sample packets. One is green yerba mate and the other is roasted. I’m going to try steeping them in my metal infuser which is at the office, and try it out tomorrow. I will see if I like it enough to search for a gourd and bombilla. They would make a great gift for my cleaning lady though.

You must be logged in to comment