small medium large xlarge

07 Nov 2010, 07:15
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

I’ll start today’s status thread, I started writing shortly after midnight so I finished very early. I chose an “easy” topic (installing cfengine) since I was already pretty tired, and wrote 842 words today:

http://750words.com/entries/share/359953

Profile_sm_pragsmall
07 Nov 2010, 15:34
Scott Dunn (11 posts)

Got a great half hour in. 12 pages and 4787 words. I’m not quite tracking with getting two pages a day, but I’m feeling the flywheel gaining momentum.

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
07 Nov 2010, 17:10
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Today’s #s:

1279    6558   43547 total

Really got into it today. Finished both pomodoros with “dang it! I’ve still got stuff to say!” The competitive part of me really digs having my computer tell me how much time I’ve got left. That one minute warning is like the 100m line in a bike race – it’s an all out sprint to the finish to get everything written down.

Scott – the more you write the more you’ll have to write. At least, that’s what I’ve found.

Diego – I think you should count those words for yesterday and write again today! :-D

Ry2_pragsmall
07 Nov 2010, 17:41
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

My writing week started well but ran into difficulties because of weekend travels, which has made it difficult to find time to write. Still, I managed to work a bit of writing into my schedule. I’m up to 5300 words.

Generic-user-small
07 Nov 2010, 18:22
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

We are at 8500 words now. But the day is not over yet ;).

07 Nov 2010, 18:51
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

Travis - I’m really thinking about it, actually. If I can make the time, I’ll write some more tonight.

Thanks to my after-midnight writing session, my “Daily Nudge” email from 750words this morning, instead of the usual reminder, said “You completed your words today. Enjoy the rest of your day.” Very satisfying :)

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
08 Nov 2010, 02:49
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I had a pretty good day of writing myself. It is a different experience from what I had expected. I went for a long walk to think about the book structure, and that definitely helped. I got a better sense of what I want my book to do. Then after some surprise events in the afternoon and evening, I started working on a very basic outline for the book. I wrote a one paragraph theme and a two line statement of the goal of the book. Then I went on to create a very brief list of chapters that I want in the book. Then I continued work on my second chapter…and at first things came slowly but then I recalled my own past professional experience and sentences flowed much more easily. I had moments of angrily recalling some events that happened when I was learning how Tier B applications are developed by my employer. It was a pretty easy two pages to write. I now have a little structure I can follow with a goal statement, a theme, and a basic table of contents. Something in me is changing now as I continue this project. Perhaps I am learning to be a better writer.

Dmfcb_pragsmall
08 Nov 2010, 02:49
David Copeland (437 posts)
> rake stats
(in /Users/davec/Projects/pragprowrimo)
     859   11062   71318

Just north of 1500/day. had a lot to say today and didn’t stop maybe when I should have.

Right now, I’m walking through a command line program that we improve. Along the way I’m calling out best practices and explaining the ins and outs of various command line stuff. I’m hoping intermixing information with the example will make things clearer. The application is a database backup script, which isn’t terribly sexy, but I think will demonstrate stuff rather well.

08 Nov 2010, 03:10
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

@David: Keep up the great work, I’m interested in what you have to say about using the command line because I’m a *nix person and I’m always interested in scripting because of the speed and power it offers. A database backup application is of interest to a lot of us.

@Raymond: Keep on plugging, I was wondering what happened to you and I’m very sympathetic. I had some difficult days this week too. Tea helps a lot when you want to bang out words! Maybe seeking a special sanctuary that you reserve for your writing will help. That is why I started a different thread titled “Where do you write?” I’m always wondering where other folks go to when they want to do serious writing.

08 Nov 2010, 04:51
Edward Gibbs (15 posts)

Just found out about this Friday and dived in today:

1105 words

Hoping to catch up and hit the 60 page mark on a book I’ve wanted to put together for a long time.

Untitled-1_pragsmall
08 Nov 2010, 05:27
Josh Carter (40 posts)

Mired in a section about network programming. My biggest challenge at the moment is figuring out what level of content is appropriate for my reader. For example, if a topic requires a lot of in-depth explanation but that depth will be lost on 90% of readers, is the topic really worth including in the book? Tomorrow I might punt and switch to a different part of the book.

@Edward: welcome!

Profile_pic_pragsmall
08 Nov 2010, 06:17
Julian Gamble (34 posts)

Did some content work today. Did some planning for a future chapter.

08 Nov 2010, 12:03
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

@Josh:

Information Technology work has always been about complexity. You are probably writing for a professional audience. That is my idea.

Ry2_pragsmall
09 Nov 2010, 01:28
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

@Bob Thanks for your encouragement – your noticing that I was MIA for a couple of days inspires me to put in some time tonight (even though I just spent a long day on the road). I plan to report in later on what progress I make tonight!

You must be logged in to comment