small medium large xlarge

Ume_bild_pragsmall
09 Nov 2010, 05:48
UlrichMerkel (23 posts)

For the moment in time, WinWord is my typing companion (because it is there). But perhaps it’s a good idea to convert it to something which can be consumed via www.uli-merkel.de

In the past, I had some good experiences using CMSimple (which is a complete set of webpages in a single HTM file).

A question to the other writers for their opinion: will the benefit of presenting the current state-of-work outweight the overhead of layout in an early state?

Success, Uli

Generic-user-small
09 Nov 2010, 11:11
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

I would think not. Getting the layout right is a lot of work, and can interrupt the flow and fun of writing.

Since our material relies a lot on proper markup, we decided to use DocBook from now on. As a side-effect, we can easily push current versions to the web automatically. But it does get in the way of writing…

If you want to ask for feedback, maybe you could just paste the content of your Word document to Google Docs, or make a PDF with annotations enabled.

Ume_bild_pragsmall
09 Nov 2010, 17:30
UlrichMerkel (23 posts)

Thanks Daniel for sharing your view.

Right now I use FreePDF to “print” my document as a pdf.

If I have understood you right:,

I make that PDF (which is annotatable) downloadable from my webpage.

After one has made his annotations, he can email me the annotaded PDF.

So we can commuinicate comments with ease.

Success, Uli

Ume_bild_pragsmall
09 Nov 2010, 18:01
UlrichMerkel (23 posts)

For the moment in time, I just added the pdf to my CMSimple appearance (needs some polishing, I know).

The “link” is http://www.uli-merkel.de/?welcome_to_uli-merkel.de:%3D%26gt%3B_%28temp%29_Downloads

Success, Uli

_mg_2366_pragsmall
15 Nov 2010, 16:30
John M Athayde (39 posts)

Don’t worry about publishing. Focus all your efforts on writing for the month. When you get to Dec 1st, step back, sleep for a few hours and see what you think of it. At this point you can look at submitting it to PragProg via their submission process or working it to release on your own.

I’ve done a lot of print design in my time (starting on pica sheets doing old style paste-up) and it’s time consuming to do right.

You must be logged in to comment