small medium large xlarge

Ry2_pragsmall
15 Nov 2010, 15:15
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

I added about 1100 words to my book today and am up to 10200 words in total. I use the word “added” because I ended up copying and pasting a lot of words from old drafts from years ago about ideas I’ve been mulling about since then. A big challenge for me in life has been trying to synthesize a lot of material from many years – I’m very grateful for PragProWriMo as a very effective exercise to do so!

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
15 Nov 2010, 15:50
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Here’s today’s numbers:

2407   12950   87088 total

Lots of new code and such, but its progressing really well. I’m well into the point of the book where we’re ramping up information quickly and throwing lots of new concepts and code at the reader. I’m pleased with where it’s for the mid-point of the month.

_mg_2366_pragsmall
15 Nov 2010, 16:23
John M Athayde (39 posts)

Over the weekend Bruce and I finished our 3rd chapter and we split off to each work on a chapter ourselves. I kicked out about 5 pages (~1100 words) on a tip on using @font-face. We’re up to about 24k words so far, not counting stuff we wrote last PragProgWriMo that is getting cut up and redistributed as we come across appropriate places for it.

The total build coming out of the TeX convertor puts us around 150 pages, about 1/3 of which is placeholder stuff or standard book pages. Shooting to have two more chapters delivered by the end of this month. Loving the fire under my backside right now!

Untitled-1_pragsmall
15 Nov 2010, 21:44
Josh Carter (40 posts)

Got my writing in early today, another section half-done.

Generic-user-small
15 Nov 2010, 22:44
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Unfortunately, no writing today due to social commitments. We were linked on Reddit, and are very happy about the first positive reactions!

Generic-user-small
16 Nov 2010, 00:39
Larry Jones (89 posts)

I’m late to the party but want to get started.

Originally, the goal was two pages per day (60 pages in the month). Since I can count words easily, what is a typical number of words per page? In addition, does words include code fragments?

Thanks.

_mg_2366_pragsmall
16 Nov 2010, 01:12
John M Athayde (39 posts)

Larry -

I’m building our book to the PragProg TeX tool, which is pretty close to the end product. Averaging out on my recent stuff it comes out to around 220 words per page when there’s some code samples mixed in and a sidebar here or there.

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
16 Nov 2010, 02:12
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I got my pages in for today as well. I have a bunch of ideas percolating, some of which are silly, some of which are good, and at least one might be original. Now I’m starting to look more closely and ask questions about the corporate environment that often extends itself into the lives of software developers.

Aucouturier_copy_pragsmall
16 Nov 2010, 02:14
Jean-Julien Aucouturier (5 posts)

Haven’t posted for a while, but I’m sustaining my slow but steady pace - one pomodoro first thing in the morning, averaging between 600-700 words per day. This morning, I’ve just passed the 8,000 words bar. This seems to be a lot less than everybody here, but I’m happy and serene about the steady progress.

Been reading everyone’s posts regularly, and I’m enjoying this community. Keep the good work everyone. Half-way through!

16 Nov 2010, 02:19
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Raymond, David, and anyone else feeling writer’s upset…I’m sure you’ll agree that synthesis, for a writer, can be a quite painful process. It isn’t all pain, but at least some wincing is there as we search about for what to say and how to tie together the various threads we are crafting. Comes with the work we do and has to be accepted. Keep up your great work!

Dmfcb_pragsmall
16 Nov 2010, 03:09
David Copeland (477 posts)

Got in some good stuff today:

> rake stats
(in /Users/davec/Projects/pragprowrimo)
    1992   20525  135885

I guess at 220 words/page, I’m north of 90 pages at this point, but I’ve been aiming at the Nanowrimo 1700 words/day. It’s tough because one day off just kills you, but I feel good about the progress I’m making.

16 Nov 2010, 03:17
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

Wrote 1,088 words today, for a grand total of 16,388 according to 750words. My generated PDF is now at 48 pages.

Today’s stats: http://750words.com/entries/share/377667

Although I had a preliminary outline from which I’m working, I’m seeing now that it’s insufficient for many of the things I want to say. For the sake of efficiency, I’m putting things in that structure, even as I’m aware that they will have to be moved somewhere else. I’m trying at all costs to stay out of editing mode, because once I start, I know it will be hard to stop, and I will lose writing time to it.

Happy midpoint everyone! I’m sure happy to still be here, and to be sharing this with such a nice group.

Tonight, I drink a nice glass of red wine to the whole PragProWriMo community :)

16 Nov 2010, 03:25
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Diego,

My little outline is proving insufficient for me too, and also like you I’m putting my stuff in my outline structure but will need to change it later. Happy midpoint to you also! This is quite an accomplishment for all of us!

Bob

Dsc00765_pragsmall
16 Nov 2010, 03:54
Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (114 posts)

Indeed - happy halfway point to everyone! Congratulations on making it this far - now you’re on the downhill side. Just a couple more weeks to go!

16 Nov 2010, 06:47
Edward Gibbs (15 posts)

Added 836 words tonight for a total of 6103. Since I missed the first week, this isn’t quite the halfway point, but I’m feeling pretty good about my progress.

Generic-user-small
16 Nov 2010, 07:29
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Wow, we had 7800 unique visitors now, and a lot of encouragement! :)

17 Nov 2010, 06:05
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

Larry: according to 750words.com:

bq. ★ 3 Pages = 750 Words I looked this up. 250 words per page is considered to be the standard accepted number of words per page. So, three standard pages are about 750 words. Of course if 750words.com hadn’t been available, I would’ve totally found a way to prove that 249 words per page was the accepted standard.

Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2010, 02:47
Larry Jones (89 posts)

Thanks to everyone helping me to count pages.

I wrote my first two pages: 424 words.

As my daughter’s would say, “Woohoo!”

You must be logged in to comment