small medium large xlarge

Dsc00765_pragsmall
19 Nov 2010, 14:35
Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (114 posts)

Finishing up the third week of PragProWriMo, with just a week or so of writing left. Now that you’re closer to the end of the month, let’s talk about what you’ve accomplished so far!

• What’s your page count?

• Are you where you expected to be at this point?

• What are the next steps you’d like to take?

Expanding on this last question a bit: if your goal is to submit this for publication, over the next week you might familiarize yourself with submission guidelines and requested materials. Our proposal guidelines are available at www.pragprog.com/write-for-us.

Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2010, 00:24
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

What’s your page count?

60 A4 pages.

Are you where you expected to be at this point?

Yes, we have only a fraction of the material covered, but we think that’s no problem at the current pace. Last week has been fantastic, we received a lot of enthusiastic comments, and some useful feedback.

What are the next steps you’d like to take?

Proceed until we finish the book ;).

19 Nov 2010, 23:27
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

First, my stats for today, in which I started a new chapter that was not in my original outline, and wrote 1,091 words of it: http://750words.com/entries/share/386601

markdown2pdf now gives me a 59-page PDF document. My total word count so far according to 750words.com is 19,946.

No - I’m much farther ahead! :) I have now written text in every single chapter of my original tentative outline, plus one chapter that I had not originally considered. This is the longest time I have ever managed to write every single day (not counting my academic-paper-writing days in grad school), and the whole process has given me a much better idea of what kind of book I want to write.

My plan is to continue focusing on writing new material until the end of the month - there is still so much missing!

I am indeed thinking of submitting a proposal (I’ve been thinking about it for a while, so I am already quite familiar with your submission guidelines), so I may start intercalating some editing of one of my more advanced chapters to make it into a nice writing sample. Since I’m so short on time, in practice most of that will probably take place after the end of the month.

Happy weekend to everyone!

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
19 Nov 2010, 23:55
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Howdy all;

Today’s #s:

2837   15433  103867 total

Got a rough start, but the second pomodoro really rocked. To the specific question:

Total pages (with formatting) is 83 (8.5x11) about 40 of those are full pages of content.

Wasn’t really sure where I’d be. New city, new job, and a new side project. Wasn’t sure how the side project would fit. I’m quite pleased about the progress. For my quick first pass through, I’m well over half way through the book. It still needs fleshing out and I’m sure it’s in need of a solid editing pass, but I’ve yet to go “Did I really write that?” on the few pieces I’ve gone back over. Been treating this month very much like I have blinders on though, so I’ve not read very much of what I’ve written.

Well, we’ve already talked about. :-) My original plan was to give this a shot. I felt there was a book begging to be written on this topic, turns out I was right. The idea was that if November writing panned out, I’d finish wrap this book up and try to get it out the door early next year. Hopefully, we can make that happen.

-T

New_clothes_tilley_hat_v1_pragsmall
20 Nov 2010, 00:19
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

I have not yet written today’s pages, so I’m reporting on progress as of close of play yesterday. Today is going to be tough like the other days this week, maybe tougher.

My page count is 42 (8.5x11) and I think 40 of those are full pages of content. I have a 43rd page started but it only has one line on it, hardly worth reporting.

Diego wrote above exactly the way I feel! I’m not where I expected to be, I’m further ahead, but not a whole lot so in my case. Like Diego, this is the longest time I’ve written on a project continuously, every single day, and the process is giving me some confidence I have not had before. What my particular writing project is worth in the long run, though, I can’t say. It’s hard for me to tell how useful the content really is today or will be 20 years from now. I’m gaining a lot of insights into the people I work with daily though. That’s because my book characters are based on them.

What are my next steps? I will review the book over the weekend, there should be plenty of reading and thinking time available. Then I’ll go from there. I really don’t know if I will submit a book proposal or not.

What I’m sure about is that I’m learning interesting things from everyone participating in PragProWriMo, including Dave. (Smile.) I even have yerba mate tea on the shelf now after listening enough to Diego.

Happy weekend to everyone!

Dmfcb_pragsmall
20 Nov 2010, 01:31
David Copeland (439 posts)
> rake stats
(in /Users/davec/Projects/pragprowrimo)
24192 words
1273 words/day
109 pages
  • Are you where you expected to be at this point? I think I am; my book has 5 main sections: a “motivation/what are we doing” section, a section on simple command line applications, one one more complex “command suite” applications (like @git@), one one fully interactive and fancy applications (my demo app is a SQL client), and a catch-all set of appendices. I’m done with the first three (rough drafts, obvs), and about 20% into the fourth. If I only get done with the first four sections, I’ll call that a success.
  • What are the next steps you’d like to take? I’d like to submit this for real publishing; it’s not a topic that seems well-covered, but one that I think would be of interest. We’ll see.
Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2010, 02:52
Larry Jones (89 posts)

Sometimes I cannot get a computer at home (too many higher priority demands for CPU’s at home).

Any ideas on writing without a computer?

20 Nov 2010, 03:41
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

Well, yes. Amazon to the rescue! There aren’t a lot of typewriters out there in the jungle, but this one seems reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-ML-300-Electronic-Display-Typewriter/dp/B00004WFZR/ref=sr_1_15?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1290224070&sr=1-15

Before electrics were manual Smith-Coronas and Royals.

Before typewriters were the classic paper and pen. The pen often was removed from a goose. I guess that is how Robert Louis Stevenson did it…

…Bob

Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2010, 04:18
Larry Jones (89 posts)

I had not even thought of a typewriter! I was busy writing things in longhand.

I’ll have to think about this idea more.

Generic-user-small
20 Nov 2010, 04:25
Larry Jones (89 posts)

My latest count is 2746 words. At 250 words per page, that is about 10 pages.

I was uncertain where I would be since this is my first attempt. In addition, since I only started on the 15th, I’m happy with where I am. So far, I’m please with how easily I’ve produced my (unedited and unchecked) drafts. Given what everyone has said about writing, I suspect it will get harder :)

Although I eventually would like to submit a proposal, because of my late start, I have more work before I can say, “Let me start polishing this chapter to submit it.”

Best of all, it is simply great to start. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Ry2_pragsmall
20 Nov 2010, 16:19
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

Yesterday morning, I got my book up to almost 14000 words (34 pages). I’m a bit beyond where I was expecting to be but hope to put in some solid time today(Saturday). I’m actually going to keep going the way that I have and keep focus on writing rather than editing.

Mike0_pragsmall
20 Nov 2010, 17:17
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

With the caveat that I’m revising something I wrote last year:

21,800 words, 73 pages revised. That’s the first third of the book, and it’s about where I expected to be by now.

Although I’ve finished polishing this part of the book, I have a 24-page Problems document that details the issues I need to address and questions I need to answer. I still need to finish working through that document for this part of the book. That’s probably going to take the rest of the month.

20 Nov 2010, 20:51
Bob Cochran (170 posts)

@ Larry Jones: I should have mentioned that some people in this effort are using netbooks for their writing. A netbook should be perfectly adequate and at about $400 I guess most people can afford one. And you tell your family “this netbook is off limits until after my book is finished.” There is absolutely no need to buy Microsoft Office. Some folks are using emacs, which is free. I use OpenOffice (oowriter which manages “Text documents”) which is available on both the Mac and under Linux, likewise free. Heck, use a pen and paper if that helps the words flow. The focus is not the tools but the writing.

-Bob

You must be logged in to comment