small medium large xlarge

Dsc00765_pragsmall
30 Nov 2010, 14:26
Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (114 posts)

Congratulations to all of you who have participated this month - you’ve made it through! This is the last day of PragProWriMo, and it’s been so inspiring to see the commitment you’ve put in over this month. Looking back from where you are now to where you started - can you believe you’ve made it so far?

For those of you who are planning to submit a proposal to us based on the writing you’ve done this month: we’re looking forward to seeing your work! Have a look at our proposal guidelines at www.pragprog.com/write-for-us. No matter what you end up doing with your writing, though - hold on to it, submit it elsewhere, self-publish - it’s been a privilege getting to know you over this month.

We’ll keep this forum open for a while longer for those of you who would like to continue writing and posting after today.

Mike0_pragsmall
30 Nov 2010, 15:19
Michael Swaine (69 posts)

Congratulations to John, Jean-Juilien, Josh, Bob, David, Andy, Burk, Larry, Daniel, Venkatesh, Ulrich, Janine, Jared, Travis, Raymond, Diego, and anyone else I missed!

Generic-user-small
30 Nov 2010, 21:23
Daniel de Kok (38 posts)

Thank you all for your help! It was really encouraging to get started and continue writing with so many other enthusiastic authors, and the great suggestions from Susannah!

Ry2_pragsmall
30 Nov 2010, 23:36
Raymond Yee (47 posts)

Thanks to Pragmatic Programmers (specifically, Susannah and Michael) for setting up and guiding PragProWriMo. I learned a lot this month about discipline (and where I can improve!) and very much enjoyed this community of fellow writers. I wish everyone the best in their future writing endeavors. I hope that some of the books worked on this month will eventually be published by Pragmatic.

I will continue to write and report in every so often, until the forum is closed.

Dmfcb_pragsmall
30 Nov 2010, 23:56
David Copeland (476 posts)

MADE IT! I missed a few days overall, but I got everything done that I wanted to in this timeframe.

> rake stats
(in /Users/davec/Projects/pragprowrimo)
38175 words
1272 words/day
173 pages

Congrats to everyone that finished or made it this far!

Aucouturier_copy_pragsmall
01 Dec 2010, 03:08
Jean-Julien Aucouturier (5 posts)

I’d like to extend the most heartfelt thanks to everyone here. I have learned a lot with you all this month. This has been an immensely empowering experience for me, and I reckon many of us feel the same here.

I wish everyone all the best with their current writing project; and the next ones which I am sure will soon follow.

Jean-Julien

– One more thing:

Susannah, Michael, Pragmatic: you’re very very smart. With “projects” like these, you’re redefining what a book editor is, from trying to milk books from authors and to sell them to people, to empowering everyone to become an author (for you, or for anyone else). Well, I don’t know about others here, but I certainly like being empowered, and I owe you for this. I used to like your way, as a consumer. Now, I’m a raving fan, something of a quite different nature. Thank you.

Generic-user-small
01 Dec 2010, 03:56
Larry Jones (89 posts)

Thanks to Pragmatic Publishers for the opportunity to write and for the encouragement to do what I’ve been meaning to do anyway.

Thanks to all my fellow authors for your advice, encouragement, and a bit of your life.

I look forward to continuing on in this forum for as long as we can.

01 Dec 2010, 06:00
Diego Zamboni (69 posts)

One more voice of thanks to PragProg, to Susannah, and to every single one of my fellow PragProWriMo-ers. It has been an awesome experience to interact with and learn from all of you. I am humbled by the talent and dedication of everyone involved, and I am proud to have made it this far. I managed to write at least 750 words every single day of this month! Honestly, one month ago, I wouldn’t have thought this was possible, and I have to express my gratitude to PragProg for providing us the challenge and the community to make it happen.

As for today’s writing, I thought it fitting to make a pass at a “Conclusions” chapter, and wrote 763 words of it: http://750words.com/entries/stats/406224

In total, I wrote 29,553 words, and markdown2pdf gives me now 89 US Letter pages. That’s almost three pages per day! I am now the author of a proto-book. Of course, it’s a book full of holes, repetition and bad structure, but it’s a start :)

My next step will be to work hard on putting together a proposal for PragProg, hopefully you will hear from me again in the near future. In the meantime, I expect to continue posting here as I make progress.

Cheers to everyone!

Travis-tiy-sq_pragsmall
01 Dec 2010, 05:40
Travis Swicegood (117 posts)

Ya didn’t think I’d miss the last day did ya? :-)

4207   23192  158927 total

Today was rough – up at 5 AM to catch a flight, then ended up working late. Just now finishing up with the day’s writing (with 30 minutes to spare). The past few day’s writing has been a bit slow as I’ve been working on some appendix material that’s been really fun (digging into a lot of the internals of the project). Reading code is time taken away from writing though, so it hasn’t been as fast.

Congrats to everyone who’s been working on this. Hope to see a lot of you sticking with it and a lot of great books come out of this. :-)

Edit: I forgot to add the total page count. Sphinx has me at 107 pages with formatting. If my rough calculations (i.e., guesses) are correct that’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 - 175 pages of a “normal” book. I’ll take it.

-T

You must be logged in to comment