small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Practical Vim
Generic-user-small
19 Apr 2012, 21:15
Richard More (7 posts)

Got the book. Looks good, but nothing on folding?

Generic-user-small
19 Apr 2012, 21:16
Richard More (7 posts)

Nothing on pathogen either?

Generic-user-small
19 Apr 2012, 21:24
Richard More (7 posts)

Only 1 mention ( in the footnotes Tip 101 ) about vim.org?

Generic-user-small
19 Apr 2012, 21:30
Richard More (7 posts)

What about using the built-in online documentation?

Generic-user-small
19 Apr 2012, 21:34
Richard More (7 posts)

What about dos vs unix fixes?

615907809034_pragsmall
20 Apr 2012, 03:18
Tanner Watson (6 posts)

Like any beta there are going to be problems and things missing.

Trust me, things are only going to get better. I wish all technical books were released this way.

Generic-user-small
20 Apr 2012, 13:45
Richard More (7 posts)

Like any beta … and things missing.

Sure. I just hope these are “missing” items to be added before going to print. ;-)

Trust me, things are only going to get better. I wish all technical books were released this way.

Agreed.

Generic-user-small
14 Sep 2012, 11:42
Morgan Prior (1 post)

Drew has covered Pathogen [1] previously on VimCasts. [1]: http://vimcasts.org/episodes/synchronizing-plugins-with-git-submodules-and-pathogen/

Generic-user-small
21 Sep 2012, 17:17
Richard More (7 posts)

Yep. Thats how I found out about it before and why I was suprised it wasn’t in the book because I find Pathogen very useful.

Generic-user-small
08 Aug 2014, 21:47
Johann Dahm (1 post)

Nothing on pathogen either?

From the Read Me section:

[…] I’ve tried to avoid recommending what should or should not go into your vimrc file. Instead, Practical Vim focuses on the core functionality of the editor […]

I agree. I consider Pathogen a (very nice) customization, but a customization nonetheless.

But yes, I think folding would be nice to include.

Drewneil_pragsmall
14 Sep 2015, 11:38
Drew Neil (29 posts)

Nope, I’m not going to cover folding in Practical Vim. Nor Pathogen.

It’s always hard choosing what to leave out of a book like this. If I had written about all of the things I wanted to, then the book could have easily reached double the length (and I may have never finished writing it!) My editor gave me a page limit of 300, so I had to draw some lines in the sand about what Practical Vim would and would not cover.

Plugins are out (and that includes meta-plugins such as pathogen). This is a book about the core features of Vim. I don’t regret making this decision, because core Vim is stable and mature, and as a result, Practical Vim is a book that will stay relevant.

VimScript is out. That’s a whole nother book.

Customisations are also out. I touch on the vimrc in an appendix, but that’s as much detail as I want to go into.

Whether or not to write about folding was a difficult call. It’s a core vim feature, but it’s something that requires a bit of configuration. How you configure folding for Python source code might be very different to how you configure folding for JavaScript. The most powerful ways of configuring folding are using fold-expr or fold-syntax, and to do so requires VimScript knowledge. That falls outside of the scope of this book. Alternatively, you could install a plugin that implements folding for the language of interest. Again, plugins fall outside the scope of this book.

Perhaps I’ll add a chapter about folding to a later edition of the book, but for now my decision to leave it out holds.

You must be logged in to comment