small medium large xlarge

Back to: All Forums  Mac Kung Fu
Generic-user-small
15 Dec 2011, 07:33
Francois Delorme (3 posts)

I am a newbie when it comes to ebooks. I want to order your ebook. Which reader do you recommend for the most enjoyable experience on the Air 13” (running Lion).

Thanks

Francois yxpers@gmail.com

Keir_pragsmall
15 Dec 2011, 08:22
Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Francois

When you order the ebook (or paper/ebook combo) you’ll get a PDF that can be viewed on a computer, alongside files for all eBook readers.

As for eReaders, it’s very personal. I own a Kindle because its paper-like display means I can read it after I’ve spent all day glaring at computer screens. The Kindle ePaper display isn’t backlit, meaning it truly is like paper – you need to ensure the room has enough light to illuminate the page.

The Kindle Fire and B&N Nook are essentially tablet computers, so have backlit TFT screens just like any other computer. Some people are fine with this.

Kindle’s also pretty inexpensive, and easy to use.

Generic-user-small
15 Dec 2011, 14:03

Thanks Keir for your quick response. But aren’t these stand-alone devices? I was more talking about ereader software running on Lion. There seems to be plenty of free and $$$ apps on Apple Store. Or do I need anything more that the standard viewer that comes with Lion? This is where I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Francois

Keir_pragsmall
15 Dec 2011, 16:30
Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Francois

The only apps I use on OS X are the Kindle app, and Calibre.

I don’t think anybody who’s not bought an actual Kindle device can use the Kindle app (I might be wrong), so that leaves Calibre, which is free of charge.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Give it a try!

Generic-user-small
16 Dec 2011, 14:14

Thanks Keir! I will test drive Calibre with your book! Thanks a lot for your suggestion. BTW, are you on Twitter?

Keir_pragsmall
16 Dec 2011, 20:01
Keir Thomas (39 posts)

I’m @keirthomas but I don’t tend to put much up there beyond announcements.

My website is http://keirthomas.com.

Generic-user-small
28 Dec 2011, 05:00
Marc Hollins (5 posts)

OSX has built-in support for reading PDFs, just double-click!

You must be logged in to comment