small medium large xlarge

Generic-user-small
27 Nov 2011, 12:32
Emmanuel Di Pretoro (2 posts)

Hi,

I’ve begun to read your book and I see in the introduction a bad illustration of your point of view. You compare two way to install modules with Perl and Ruby: - @perl -MCPAN -e ‘install XML::LibXML’​@ - @gem install nokogirl@

Unfortunately, I don’t install my Perl modules with this kind of command line, I prefer to use: - @cpan install XML::LibXML@ which is much more like the gem.

And since, this tool exist since 2003 (https://github.com/andk/cpanpm/blob/ec89f630814e98c983314908ce404e5f8fd7ade8/scripts/cpan), I can presume the usage of this tool is the best practice to install Perl modules.

As always, There’s More Than One Way To Do It, but that doesn’t mean we need to choose the messy one ;)

All the best for your book,

Emmanuel Di Pretoro

Dmfcb_pragsmall
27 Nov 2011, 18:38
David Copeland (489 posts)

Yes, I’ve gotten this from a few people; it seems my comparison is a bit out-dated. I’m planning to rework that bit to state the point a different way without any Perl bashing :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Jpenelopetelemachus000_pragsmall
29 Nov 2011, 19:55
Peter Aronoff (3 posts)

The most common way to install Perl modules now is with cpanminus (aka, @cpanm@ on the command line). It’s zero-conf, dead easy to install and the default verbosity is very low (more than @gem@ but far, far less than @cpan@ or @cpanplus@ - here’s a sample). Using @cpanm@, the installation would look like this:

cpanm XML::LibXML

Just another more modern way to do that in Perl.

You must be logged in to comment